dlacey

Lucas Development Kugel Heaven

7 posts / 915 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

All,

I had the chance to visit Mike Lucas in Norfolk, England this weekend, we had a great discussion of all matters mechanical injection.

Mike got into Mechanical Injection with a 2002 turbo, his day job involved turbo development for a major Auto manufacturer, so he was able to uprate his 02 turbocharger and then need to match the fueling...hence the dig into Kugel pumps.

At the end his 02turbo was generating 300bhp, standard engine just improved turbo & injection.

He works on historic race/rally pumps mostly, Kugel, Bosch, Spica and is remanufacturing and restoring pumps for major names in the European historic racing scene. I was surprised how many period race cars used kugelfischer, we know BMW, FordCapri, Peugeot...but I was surprised to see 8 cylinder double-ended versions for Ferrari, pumps for Ford BDG 4 cyls etc.

He's also remanufacturing rare Bosch pumps for Porsche racers of the early 70's.

He's combining new tech with old: he has a special pump with an electronic throttle position sensor and egine speed sensor, that's combined with a servo motor controlling the fuel cam in the kugel. This enables him to use WB oxygen data to 're-map' the fuel requirements of an engine at 10,5 or 1% throttle intervals and then 'translate' this electronic map back into a fuel cam/cone to be installed into the standard Kugel body.

IMG_20171202_092357-1587x896.jpg

Edited by dlacey
UK
  • Like 2

Here's a re-cast Kugel body next to an old corroded one.

Mike says they are normally rebuildable since most parts run in roller bearings, but the pushrods that follow the injection cam run direct in the alloy and eventually wear . Here he inserts steel sleeves to recover the injection stroke accuracy.

IMG_20171202_093353-1587x896.jpg

• Like 1

Here's the drawer of fuel cam/cone examples...they look surprisingly gnarly, with rough as-cast areas ( not all the surface is used) and odd bumps and shapes..

The circumference of this cone is fuel quantity versus engine speed, the length of the cone is fuel quantity versus throttle position.

Those in that drawer with smallest end diameters are designed to push the most fuel in high power engines.

IMG_20171202_091509-896x1587.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a turbo pump of the style I am looking for. I was surprised to learn that the operation of the turbo enrichment device is more complex...I thought is was somehow connected with the enrichment lever on the back of the standard Kugel pump...but it's not..in fact the Pistons drives a small 'rack' which turns a gearwheel connected to a lengthened shaft holding the fuel cam/cone. This means that the pump stroke in the turbo Kugel responds to 3 dimensions of info: engine speed, thottle position and manifold pressure.

Not bad for a mechanical device originally developed in the early 60s. 

IMG_20171202_101256-1587x896.jpg

• Like 1

Also a few interesting cars in his workshop & on the rolling road.

IMG_20171202_104610-1587x896.jpg

On 12/3/2017 at 10:31 PM, dlacey said:

pump stroke in the turbo Kugel responds to 3 dimensions of info: engine speed, thottle position and manifold pressure.

I gotta correct myself... the turbo pump fuel-map input variables are throttle position and manifold pressure....there's no engine speed feature neccessary.