crocker7

1976 2002 Advice before purchase

11 posts / 594 viewsLast Reply

Hi, I'm in the process of looking at a 1976 2002. Does anyone have any advice? I do realize that that's a very general question but, I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks,

Tommy

(edited)

how much rust?

does it run?

how original?

is the price right?

are you prepared to store and maintain properly?

Edited by joebarthlow
  • Like 1

GoFaSSter - i just noticed that you're in olive branch...we live in Barton...small world

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, esty said:

GoFaSSter - i just noticed that you're in olive branch...we live in Barton...small world

That is awesome! I thought I remembered you were around Memphis. One of these days I need to meet you and your husband in person.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GoFaSSter said:

WHere are you located?

If you live in California, or Colorado, or any place that requires periodic emissions testing for 1976 models, think twice...

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

Besides watching out for rust, bondo and other evidence of poorly repaired accident damage, check out the previous owner(s). Their character (or lack of same) will largely determine how much care that 2002 received over the years. I look for evidence of  proper maintenance over the decades. Sitting for a long time can leave the '02 with bad hoses, seals, belts, gaskets, fluids, etc. If it's been loved enough, and used enough, it usually turns out to be a good one.

Calypsorot 2002 #5.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks all for the great advice. I appreciate!

Once I get additional photos, I'll post. They are away on vacation.

Just as a background on me: I live on Long Island, currently own a '67 Volvo Estate (wagon). I keep it garaged all year and drive it all year. Though, I tend not to take it out in the rain or snow. I drive it on the weekends, or at least start it up weekly. I mention all that as I would do the same with any older car. There's something about these BMWs that I like so I'm thinking of getting rid of the Volvo. Who knows, we'll see. Haha!

I will look at all the above links, as time permits. I really appreciate everyone's input!