2002 starter

rdotson

Hello. Help. 1975 2002 manual. Just finished motor rebuild. Runs and sounds fine. Now when I hit ignition, nothing. A faint click and silence. Only part I didn’t replace was the starter of course. 50,000 car. Took it off but it checks “good” at the store. Does that check the solenoid?  12v to starter. Solenoid lead only reads 8.5v when on. Low?  Bad switch?  Still the starter?  What am I missing. THANKS. RD 

Agreed on bad battery, but just for laughs double check your terminals to make sure they're clean.  I've got a triumph that's famous for doing exactly what you describe because the terminals get cruddy just on the inside area where they make contact with the battery posts. 

Quick way to check as to whether it's the battery or the starter:

turn on your headlights, then turn the key to "start."  If the lights go dim, then the battery is weak.  If the lights stay bright, it's either the starter or the wiring (and relay) between the ign key switch and the starter.   To test that, run a jumper wire from the + terminal on the battery to the small terminal on the starter.  If the starter still doesn't work, the problem is either in the starter or a bad ground (or a bad + battery cable/connection).  If the starter now works, then the problem is in the wiring or in the starter relay.

mike

• Like 1