Stems

Fix the nose or...

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm pretty much at the end of the rust repair on my '75 2002.  Rockers, gas tank area, floor pans, etc.  Wasn't too bad overall.

I'm left with rust at the bottom of the nose; the middle is pretty bad, and there's another small spot on the drivers side that is rusted through.

i plan on putting a turbo air dam on the car, so this whole area will be covered.  So the question is, do I fix the rust...  or just cut off the bottom of the nose right below the protrusion?

Any input is appreciated.

thanks

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

Personally, I would fix it. The nose area is not blessed with a huge amount of structural stability so even if you just do something to close up the hole after cutting out the rust it will be better. 

It's not hard to fix, and it'll continue to rust if you don't.

Just do it, make it nice, and then if you change your mind

later about the air dam, you just have to fill the holes.

what I'd do,

t

The rust there is caused by a dirt buildup in that narrow space at the bottom of the nose where the outer sheet metal meets the radiator support.  The dirt stays wet and allows rust to form in the spot welded seam, eventually causing perforation.  

When you do repair the nose's outer skin (where the rust is), prevent future rust by (1) enlarging the drain holes at the bottom of the radiator support panel (there are a few there, but are too small and easily plugged by a single small pebble) and once that's done, (2) really dousing the seam down inside the nose with anti-rust paint.  

"Been there, done that"

mike

Fix it, Noses are VERY pricey now and a really big job to install. Plus an Air Dam will cover the repair ;)

I would cut off the rusted skin and repair what is under there. That way you can stop the rust and by not fitting a new outer skin it will be less of a rust trap in future.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

The medium term goal for the car will be to turbo it, but I want to get it back on the road first.  I definitely don't plan on just leaving the rust, just deciding to fix it or cut it out.  I think seeing the end of rust repair insight is making me lazy...

I was impressed with the volume of acorns, leaves, zip ties, dirt, hose clamps, etc.  I found down in the cavities in the bottom of the nose...  I still haven't found a good way to get it all out, as my shop vac can only get so far down in there.

I'd fix it. Not that difficult. Fairly easy to access with grinders and welder. I made the stepped contour using a bead roller, (made two pcs..left and right) and then welded the two halves in place in the center. Once chip-gaurded, it turned out well, I think. 

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3213.JPG

10644810_10204918693425465_7272230466199644277_n.jpg

3 hours ago, Stems said:

I was impressed with the volume of acorns, leaves, zip ties, dirt, hose clamps, etc.  I found down in the cavities in the bottom of the nose...  I still haven't found a good way to get it all out, as my shop vac can only get so far down in there.

I made a crevice tool for my shop vac from the bellows off a clutch master cylinder (any similar bellows will work) and a short length of rubber hose that would fit into the small end of the bellows.  I then taped the bellows and hose together, and the large end over the vac wand.  The hose (about 5/8" diameter) would fit down into a tight crevice and what wouldn't go through the hose would get stuck to the end by the vacuum, and I could just lift it out.  

Crude but effective.

mike

5 hours ago, Stems said:

Buy a couple of small flexible magnetic pick up tools and a flexible claw tool.   

Magnetic pick-up

Flexible claw

I have a bunch of the flexible magnets, some flexible but rigid like a coat hanger and some that will snake around when pushed.   I just used the claw yesterday to retrieve the thumbscrews from the grill that consistently drop down into that cavity.  And that little screw or nut you dropped from the engine compartment down onto the chassis crossmember?  Using one of these things is way easier than crawling under the car. 

As for the dirt and stuff, the only thing I can think of is to blow it out.  

You could do what I'm doing right now...
I had a pretty bad rustache also and I'm on a budget so I decided to think outside the box a little...
I cut the rust out in sections and then framed in the edges with a with channel piece I made up. I have mesh on order to install just behind the openings. I think they will probably be barely noticeable but might actually look cool... That rust had to go either way so i figured why not... 63f3be7835932b0da0551d9a3818c547.jpgaaeeb5e581c473a95e687b8e353bb287.jpgf333c79247cd681dd7be0fc4c5cf80b3.jpg083dc6814b719406e3024e0a9f2c1fbe.jpg443f7ec53cfe816563dfa7a3f82ba83e.jpgbe3201bf645478d0dafefb4e3d6fb919.jpgbeeb9298e3b6fdc3a91c3b01d4699c61.jpg90a63579350e28554c0781f44401aca0.jpg065b86ef301187fa4aa91d0009215cd1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 2