Heatshield Bolts - Size Please

larryt

10 minutes ago, wegweiser said:

This will help. Super common bolt size. M6 x 10mm long. You really want new bolts in there anyway, right? 

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=ST12-USA-11-1972-114-BMW-2002&diagId=11_2399

you are a hero! saved the day for me. gonna order them up and get it fitted this week

20 hours ago, mike said:

Use stainless steel bolts--easily available at your local hardware store.  And coat 'em with anti-seize paste so they'll easily come out the next time.  

mike

My personal experience with stainless fasteners (the ones commonly available at least) is that they are hard, but BRITTLE. Snapping off a stainless bolt or screw will ruin your day. Absolutely use copper paste if installing them, however. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wegweiser said:

My personal experience with stainless fasteners (the ones commonly available at least) is that they are hard, but BRITTLE. Snapping off a stainless bolt or screw will ruin your day.

If there is a metallurgist in the crowd please step in.  I have been around stainless enough to know that certain grades of 300 stainless will undergo carbide precipitation to the grain boundaries at temperatures of 1100-1300F.  So the metal will break at the carbide layer if formed.  it happens when incorrect welding processes are used.  Exhaust may be get that hot near the head.  So pretty isn't all that pretty in some applications.

Among my experiences with stainless fasteners, was the use of stainless phillips screws to hold moulding and trim on high dollar exotic restorations. NOTHING will ruin your day, like breaking off a stainless trim screw in a 1963 Ferrari, where it cannot be accessed from behind, for removal. This occurred several times using only a hand screwdriver and moderate effort. NEVER use stainless bolts and "squished" style locknuts without anti-seize between them....and if they're at a substantial torque... they will gall themselves together either during assembly or removal. Stainless is weird stuff. I'm sure there are expensive alloys of it that work great...but I've been disappointed by using it, over the years. 

Stainless (unless it's an exotic grade) becomes brittle with constant heating/cooling. That's why stainless steel exhausts fail; they crack or split rather than corrode. I'd go with copper bolts as they won't sieze. I was lucky enough to have a brother who worked in the aircraft industry for twenty odd years and he gave me loads of titanium fixings B) (smug!)