Who does the best resto work in the US

djminkin

I know "of" the other shops, but Matt McGinn at SCR did my Turbo and the quality of work, and the process, was outstanding. I mention the latter as you are going to drop a pile of dough. You should enjoy it and working with the SCR folks was one of the high-lights of the project. While Matt does a lot of '02 he also did a CSL, a Rothman 911, Mini's & more in the time he did my car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackF said:

I know "of" the other shops, but Matt McGinn at SCR did my Turbo and the quality of work, and the process, was outstanding. I mention the latter as you are going to drop a pile of dough. You should enjoy it and working with the SCR folks was one of the high-lights of the project. While Matt does a lot of '02 he also did a CSL, a Rothman 911, Mini's & more in the time he did my car.

I checked out your car when SCR brought it down to Vintage NC one year. They did a fantastic job?.

Hard to say, there are a number of folks that are really good.  I think you would be hard pressed to find someone that knows there way around the sheet metal of a 2oo2 better than SCR.  Over the years I have consulted with Matt on many things on my car (body work relate) and had his shop not be 2k+ miles away I would have sent it there....and probably been done with the body work like 10 years ago.  I don't know that I have ever even looked at his website, I follow along his flickr albums that they update pretty regularly.  Inspiring.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29110923@N05/albums

the most correct and nice resto work in the US?  Time is important too. Not looking for someone who takes 3 years. It's a full resto job.

With those criteria, $75k to start.

But there are a thousand things you haven't defined, so I'm basing my WAG on

you getting a very nice, but not perfect, car at the end.

For perfect and fast, $100k is a deal.

t

• Like 1

That is a loaded question for sure.  I would guess it would be a big number.  But rather than guess my advice would be to either call Matt up and discuss or send some images of your car, what exactly you want done and what your expecation is AND he could probably give you a pretty good idea, given the number of them he has already done.  Don't kid yourself, it will be a pretty big number I would guess.  You pay for what you get, you (almost) always do.

2 hours ago, TobyB said:

For perfect and fast, $100k is a deal.

This would be on parr.  Expect to be a bit above that number if your car is pretty crusty.  Also, your timeline is ambitious as well.  Where I am, we are back-logged a couple years right now.  Yesterday I know of the sale of a nice, bare-metal, non-original (but very stylish), non-tii, roundie for 87k.

• Like 1

If you want SCR, and they are great for ‘02 restorations, get in line.  I’d bet the line is at least 2 to 3 years long!

I’m very happy with the work Korman has done on my ‘76: a complete mechanical overhaul in 2011-12; the still-not-quite-complete re-paint In 2015-17.  Korman is, at essence, a performance tuning shop rather than a restoration shop, per se.  For someone such as I, who has a 44-year history with ‘02’s, and who likes to be involved in the details of restoration work, it was great to play the role of day-to-day “restoration expert”.  And Korman was always eager to please.  Mind you, they know LOTS about ‘02’s, and have tuned the ‘76 better than it was ever tuned, but they aren’t ordinarily into the details of “stock” and “factory” like SCR is.  And, unlike SCR, they don’t have their own body shop. The body shop we used for the ‘76 — one of several Korman has worked with for years — did fabulous work but is so busy they’re not currently accepting cars for the queue!  Period.  So I’m debating whether the ‘73 might go to Korman or SCR.

I’d say SCR is both a restoration shop and a performance tuning shop.  Toby and AceAndrew, above, know the dollars involved.  Rusty will cost you more.

Complete is very nice, but doesn’t save a lot of dollars if the “complete” bits still need full restoration.  Take seats, for instance.  If you’ve got the original front seats but both need: (a.) new covers or substantial restoration of the original covers, (b.) horsehair pads, and (c.) all those other little trims bits, such as knobs, escutcheons, etc., your bill for restoring your car’s original seats is virtually the same as finding missing seats to restore, because the cost of a good used seat — free to $150 — is a drop in the bucket compared to seat restoration costs.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv