• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing marks and an advanced timing gun- dumb question I'm sure.

Humour me here. The inductive pick up has a direction marked on it towards the spark plug. I assume that you have been dutifully connecting that in the right direction? If so, try connecting it in the wrong direction and see what happens. 

Timing lights, even advance ones are relatively simple things. Just spitballing to try and understand what could be wrong. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

43 minutes ago, Simeon said:

Humour me here. The inductive pick up has a direction marked on it towards the spark plug. I assume that you have been dutifully connecting that in the right direction? If so, try connecting it in the wrong direction and see what happens. 

Timing lights, even advance ones are relatively simple things. Just spitballing to try and understand what could be wrong. 

Good idea but no cigar, darn thing doesn't advance/work properly in either orientation.   Out of desperation, I even bought a new set of cheapo plug wires this morning. I originally had some 8mm Kingsborn wires which I am leaving in place and just keep the new set for back ups.

Later today, my buddy w/ the MBG might drop by for a beer, I'll try my light on his rig for fun. I just noticed my model number is actually 3568a. Maybe the "a" signifies it doesn't work on 2002's?

Since I've got nothing to loose I might try fiddling with the 4 interconnects on the chord where it fits into the handle. Inserting the cord doesn't offer much resistance almost like the pins are too small. I may try melting a bit of solder to the pins to tighten them up a tad.

Update: Timing light works perfectly on a 1969  MBGT.

Edited by 7502

Update: I tried soldering a different inductive clip to the circuit board and also reflowed all the existing interconnects, but it still doesn't werke,   Yes I do have the clip pointed in the right direction.  After  trying different coils, spark plug wires and even a new battery I gave up and bought a $29.99, rotary advance Harbor Freight CenTech timing light. It actually worked to a certain extent. I was able to set the timing to the new green marks on the flywheel.  Now set to 30 deg BTDC at 2400 rpm.   The light doesn't work properly at low though and seems jumpy. 

I might take it back and try something a little higher quality.  This new one doesn't work anywhere close to the Snap On light I used at the repair shop.

On 11/16/2017 at 2:59 PM, '76mintgrun'02 said:

I like my Innova 5568, but you may prefer to switch brands entirely.  ($100 shipped)

Plus, I run points, so the dwell meter is a useful function for me.

I have the same model, but it doesn't like my MSD, so I have used it only once.  I ended up setting my 123 with the marks on the flywheel. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002