I'm Back with a 67 1600

72pdx02

I'm back but I never really left. I have just been 02 less the past two and a half years. Not long after selling my 72 I began to feel regret and knew I needed another in my life.  I always loved the early 1600's but would have settled for just about any Roundy. I guess God must have answered my prayers because I found an early 67 1600 in need of love and bought it sight unseen and had it shipped over 1200 miles to my home. The gentleman I bought it from purchased it outside Munich in 67 while stationed in Germany. The last time the car was registered was 75. It has been garaged ever since due to a locked-up transmission. The rockers, shock towers, spare tire well, is all bone dry. She does have some damage to the nose that will require me to replace the front core support, fenders and hood. (Will be posting in parts wanted soon. I’m located San Diego N. County) Overall I am very happy to have found this car. I plan on keeping her all original. Maybe it’s my age showing, but I have a lot of appreciation for originality. I also feel a car this old is special and deserves to be preserved.

P.S. Toby, I never did go look at the touring…Stace

1600.jpg

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, HBChris said:

Would love to see a pic of hubcap and trim ring.

Absolutely--post more pictures.  Unmolested pre "US only" cars are gettgin harder and harder to find and what you picture will help others with originality questions.  And that your car was European delivery to military means it may not have gone through the Hoffman sales organization, so may have some Euro features that weren't on the cars that Hoffman ordered.  

It looks like your car has amber center tail lights--on 66-69 cars shipped to the US, they were red; also the trim rings appear to be separate from the hubcaps and are different from those I've seen on early cars.  Does it have cloth upholstery?  How about the 4 way flasher switch on a little panel under the steering column?  And is it still 6 volt?

Welcome back--with a very cool car.

mike

• Like 1

Congrats!  Looks great.  Sahara with "UPS Brown" interior?

Please email the VIN to BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) for the "birth date" and importer (especially if it was sold through an importer other than Hoffman Motors Corp).  Share the results with us, please!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

This car was originally sold in Germany for the European market. Military member purchased it and later shipped it to the U.S. Hubcap trim rings are separate, It does have cloth upholstery 6V battery as well. Flasher knob mounted under dash on removable panel, not sure if that's correct. Turn signal stalk is broken and I think the previous owner may have been creative with a work around. Hopefully I can get a replacement. Color is Chamonix, just dirty in pictures. And thanks Andrew.

Edited by 72pdx02
add text
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Congrats!  Looks great.  Sahara with, no doubt, "UPS Brown" interior?

Please email the VIN to BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) for the "birth date" and importer (especially if it was sold through an importer other than Hoffman Motors Corp).

Regards,

Steve

Looks more like Chamonix to me.