02 Fuel Return Line (hard line)

Chris_B

I am trying to determine how I can install an electric fuel pump under my fuel tank. The metal pipe1.thumb.JPG.25a8ba41a18e009bf851ea0fcaa3ae0e.JPGpipe3.thumb.jpg.2e19327cc7bbd1ed14f8281e936fb933.jpgfuel return line would be an obvious choice that I could use to pump the fuel to the front of the car. My problem is that  I can't find mine. See pics- obviously it existed at one time. I don't want to cut a hole in my trunk to run a line back up to attach to the plastic line, if I can help it. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Yes, my return line is capped at the tank. The pic showing the hose above the gas tank used to be connected to the fuel tank return line. The other end of that hose is shown in the second pic, under the car and plugged with a bolt. My problem is that I can't find the hard line under the car that used to connect to that hose.

53 minutes ago, Chris_B said:

Would appreciate it if someone would advise why the images I upload don't appear at the end of the text...

here's how I do it:

1)  type your text

2)  click the "choose files..." link and select your picture which will then appear under Uploaded Images

3)  make sure your blinking cursor is at the end of your typed text and click the "+" sign in the uploaded Images and voila

Re:  adding images.  I keep a folder open where the photos reside.  I drag n drop a file from this folder over to the choose files area.  The border changes appearance when the cursor is over the correct area.  As recommended use + sign to add the image to your post.

Not a bad idea to limit the size of the photo.  Super-high resolution is not usually required, slows the streaming and uses-up your mb quota.

I am about to put a filter and pump in mine as well. I am deadheading mine (for now). I also have the impact cutoff switch from pegasus auto racing.  Some people say that you can get one from the right rear trunk panel of a ford crown vic.  It is crucial that you have one if you are in an accident, the fuel pump needs to turn off.     You can also use a switch off the oil pressure to shut down the pump if you have no oil pressure.

As shown in the first picture your hard line has been removed at some point, the line is NLA from BMW so you'll have to make one  and follow the original path for your car which is easy enough, then replace the hose that goes through the trunk floor and connect it up to the fuel pump and then abandon the plastic line and cap it.

8 MM is 5/16 in "merican" measuring, and yes mild steel, as a personal choose I use the F/I rated hose for all my fuel system it costs a bit more but you only need a foot or so. You also might consider running the new steel line like the 75 & 76 models did along side the inner rocker  because the new formula gas will boil at the drop of a hat while with you pump in back you should get no vapor lock while running when you shut down it will boil and force gas into the carb in theory anyway

I bought a 20' long roll of 5/16 stainless pipe. Seller claims it bends fairly easily. I also bought a pipe bender. IIRC, these pipes had some kind of material wrapped around the pipe at each hanger/support- something like thin rubber, presumably to keep from metal on metal rubbing. Anyone have an idea of what to use for this? I was thinking of using cut up pieces of a tire inner tube, if I can find one somewhere (bike shop?).