NOS steel keys for first gen locking gas cap

Price: $10

Description:

Hey all!

My second official post but first contribution. New owner of a 1973 picked up a few weeks ago! Stoked to be a part of the community.

FINDING NOS STEEL GAS CAP KEYS

After hunting down a first generation locking gas cap with key I wanted to get a spare made. From previous posts here I found mixed information on the correct key code and where to find one. Mine appeared to be the original key with markings of Borkey 570 1/2. I eventually found a reference to it with Dominion BU2 also listed which is what other members have said is a key that fits! I'll post those other key codes and this information on a forum post also so we have this information for people in the future. Well, my local locksmith has been around since 1947. And hiding in the back was a ring of the same original steel Borkey keys! They wont cut them and dont recommend using steel keys. My local ACE Hardware cuts them though and do a great job. I don't need a ring full and so I thought I would offer them here for those of you hunting as I did. $10 shipped seems fair for such a rare key, I doubt I will find them again.

OTHER KEY CODES  - for those interested

This is the list of key codes I found that seems to be compatible for first generation locking gas cap. I know the Borkey 570 1/2 fits and others have said Dominion BU2 does also. 

BOERKEY 1095

BOERKEY 570

CEA BLA1

CHARLES BIRCH 306

DOMINION LOCK BU2

ERREBI BA3

ERREBI L1

ERREBI MMW1

HD BU2

ILCO BU2

JMA BL-1D

KIS OP40

KRAGA A23

LOTUS BAU2

MISTER MINIT 461

ORION BU10

RR BT1

SILCA BT1

Hope to see you guys in person at a meet once I get mine road worthy!

-Keith

gascapborkey.jpg

borkeyfront.jpg

borkeyback.jpg

Edited by hollowridge

FOLLOW UP

I acquired a Dominion Lock BU2 to verify if it fits into my gas cap. Well. It does not. I compared it next to the Borkey and it is reversed. See pictures. I went to Boerkey website and found keys that have both standard numbers as well as the 1/2 indication. This looks looks to be for the direction of the grooves in the key. 

Not sure why I have a 1/2 key and others have a DL BU2.

CUSTOM KEY (brass key)

As any locksmith with tell you using steel keys isnt the best for a lock. So Concord Lock made a custom key for me using an Ilco B1. You can see it next to the Borkey.

dominionlockbu2.jpg

dlbu2.jpg

ilcob1.jpg

Edited by hollowridge

Hello ,

upon purchasing my 1972 BMW 2002 it had a locking gas cap on it. I have not yet attempted to remove. I suspect the keys your are selling with fit this locking gas cap. If so, I would like to purchase on of these keys. Please provide me with your  PayPal information.  Please note accordingly.

Thanks

Mac Arthur Davis

Allcity04@msn.com

43 minutes ago, mac20021972 said:

Keith ,

This can be done with the locking gas cap on the vehicle. The vehicle is not  running at this time , it in my garage at present. Please note accordingly.

Thanks

Mac Arthur Davis

allcity04@msn.com

If the gas cap is locked and you’re missing the key, you can remove the black rubber elbow in the trunk that connects the tank filler to the gas cap mount on the inner quarter panel.  Once removed you can access the rear of the gas cap and twist it off.  You may need to gently nudge it with a screwdriver or similar.  Then you can take the locked cap to a locksmith and have the key made.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...