It Only Took 25 Years...

73tiiDavidPA

When I bought the '73tii from the back pages of the Roundel it came with non-original silver shiny hood insulation.  I never cared for it, but between marriage / kids / jobs / moving / garage conditions it never made the list of things that got done.  Now my wife and I are empty-nesters, I have an awesome garage, and a car show to go to...  

Nice to be able to spend some time fiddling about with my toys...

with the nasty (my opinion) silver insulation

IMG_3710.thumb.JPG.4d49158c2e4ce89fc87eac8dc1e0e49b.JPG

pulled and in the process of glue removal (painful, long, thank god for better living through chemicals... at least adhesive remover)

IMG_3712.thumb.JPG.7c89616225beb6ec2aa836ae74e064e3.JPG

Pieces cut (not the best job) 13x19 driver and center, 15x19 passenger (thank goodness for all the FAQ postings / discussions on this)

IMG_3848.thumb.JPG.52f7904e00a14090c0f75303003e36bc.JPG

Trying to tidy up the engine bay with the limited time (hours) I have left before leaving today for Hilton Head

IMG_3849.thumb.JPG.95ecb124939b6eb6da6076b7fab3f9a4.JPG

Strut bar has been removed for originality sake, I'll replace it after the show

IMG_3850.thumb.JPG.1e741d1a5346dec8dd44b9851de9694c.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PaulTWinterton said:
3 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

regarding your new foam... what did you use to stick it, or was it self-adhesive?

If you buy the pre-cut pieces from our favorite vendors they are self-adhesive.

Yes, I bought a set several (7?) years back from perhaps Blunt or Max.  Two pre-cut pieces - one large and one small, both were perhaps an inch large, and one triangular priece obviously from the hood of a newer model.  That one you cut down to the smaller size.  The are self adhesive.  Mine were perhaps just old and it was really hard to peel back the backing.  

All I know is that the glue that held the original stuff on won't budge no matter how much industrial strength goof-off I spray on it. I would think that it would provide some noise muffling, and maybe keep your hood from banging around possibly? Not like I want to keep heat in the engine bay really. 

1 hour ago, silasmoon said:

All I know is that the glue that held the original stuff on won't budge no matter how much industrial strength goof-off I spray on it. I would think that it would provide some noise muffling, and maybe keep your hood from banging around possibly? Not like I want to keep heat in the engine bay really. 

visit autozone, etc...buy a can of 3M adhesive remover...if that won't remove it nothing will...i wanted to remove the old penstriping on one of my nissan trucks and nothing phased it, bought a can of the 3M stuff and it almost instantly removed the adhesive

2 hours ago, silasmoon said:

All I know is that the glue that held the original stuff on won't budge no matter how much industrial strength goof-off I spray on it. 

that wasn't the case for me at all.  maybe the adhesive formulation in 74 was dramatically weakened.  just paint thinner and a rag and judicious application of elbow grease and mine came off.  sure the crumbling foam made a mess, but repeated application cleaned it nicely.  paint thinner didn't damage the paint as it waxed up very nicely afterwards.  always thought with the % of non-coverage, the benefits of the foam was debatable.