Fu Yao Windshield

silasmoon

So I was replacing my windshield gasket last night, and unfortunately when I was doing the old "glancing blows" technique I got a crack that met an old rockchip. I am in the SF Bay Area, and trying to find a replacement windshield. Mine was a Pilkington. I am getting a lot of places that have Fu Yao replacements which are quite cheap at $150 for just the glass. I was curious if anyone has used one of these windshields. I know Fu Yao makes glass for modern BMWs, but am skeptical about them producing glass for a 40 year old car. 

Thanks! 

neither do I. 

You said they make "glass" for BMW. Do you know if they making windshield for BMW? and if they do for modern BMW's then I just can imagine they have to go thru BMW tight quality inspections and standards. I bet they sell windshield for 40 years old car as aftermarket. That's when stuff gets scary.

I can be wrong... Check with dealer and find out if they can tell you who is making it for BMW  

I just ordered the Pilkington via Windsheildstogo.com - it's 2 hour round-trip for me to get one in San Jose + another hour to install, so that's about $45/hr for their labor. Plus if they break it, it's not my fault :)

Fu Yao makes glass, but maybe not windshields. They're one of the largest glass manufacturers in the world, but that doesn't mean they know a damn thing about 70's era BMW glass. If this was a Honda Accord, sure no problem. 

FWIW, my installer showed me the inventory and production data from 3 manufacturers, Pilkington, PPG, and BMW.  All producing 02 windshields from S.Africa.  He says they all come out of the same factory.   At the time (3-4 years ago) the A/M guys were 1/3 of the BMW $.  The installer had Pilkington branded and BMW branded windshields in stock and showed me that they are identical.  

I think you made the right decision to go with Pilkington.  I did.  Asian 02 glass is an unknown and therefore risky.

I had an old - and repaired - tiny rock chip. I was doing the soft glancing blows with my palm and whammo it sent a semi-circle hairline crack through the glass. Just be careful and take your time. It's really not that hard. I did it as a single person with some glass suction cup things I got on Amazon. 

I know this might be inappropriate, but the name sounds like some kind of expletive.  

From realoem, the non-green windshield part number is 51319558352.    I see Blunttech lists that part number for $251.77.   You might want to inquire to see what kind they sell.   Unfortunately, I don't have any California dealers in my search database.  

Scott

Unfortunately that was the oft-suggested method found on this very forum. But you live and you learn. I also think it would be extremely difficult to get the lockstrip into the gasket without a proper tool. I attempted it for about 30 minutes with warm soapy water with the windshield not installed, and I got about 6 inches in the gasket. 

2 hours ago, silasmoon said:

I just ordered the Pilkington via Windsheildstogo.com - it's 2 hour round-trip for me to get one in San Jose + another hour to install, so that's about $45/hr for their labor. Plus if they break it, it's not my fault :)

Fu Yao makes glass, but maybe not windshields. They're one of the largest glass manufacturers in the world, but that doesn't mean they know a damn thing about 70's era BMW glass. If this was a Honda Accord, sure no problem. 

Please let us know how the install goes and what you think of the glass :) I'm in in the south bay, so this is gonna be my backup plan.

1 hour ago, silasmoon said:

Unfortunately that was the oft-suggested method found on this very forum. But you live and you learn. I also think it would be extremely difficult to get the lockstrip into the gasket without a proper tool. I attempted it for about 30 minutes with warm soapy water with the windshield not installed, and I got about 6 inches in the gasket. 

The biggest problem I found with the lockstrip was it being severely twisted from storage as a tight coil. It fed into the rubber OK but would then flip over in the slot. This was particularly bad when trying to put the strip in the rubber off the car (which BMW recommends and I thought might be easier). I gave this up eventually and fitted them separately using a homemade tool that I twisted out of braising rod. 

IMAG1241.thumb.jpg.ab4111f92309cb080b339b8c3ae55306.jpg