Checking 36-1 02Again wheel/EDIS timing advance?

brendang2000

Sorry, I have a noob megasquirt/EDIS question about timing and can’t seem to find any info through searching; if you know of a link, please let me know.  I’m getting my MSII/V3.0 engine mocked up with a 02Again 36-1 wheel, and can’t see how you guys are checking timing.  I’ve marked the tooth that relates to TDC (see picture), but how are you checking advance?  It’s my understanding that a dial-back timing light will not work with an EDIS setup due to the wasted spark.  From http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm,Note that most timing lights that let you set the timing with a dial and read the alignment of fixed TDC marks with the strobe will not work with EDIS. This is because these timing lights use the time between sparks to compute the engine speed and advance, but the EDIS wasted spark is giving sparks twice as often as the timing light expects for a given rpm. If you have a 'dial back' timing light, set the dial to zero and use a degreed damper or timing tape to view the advance.” Have you made a timing tab to read off of the original timing point?  I’m contemplating machining a wheel that mounts to the front of the 02Again pulley that I would put a strip of MSD timing tape on.  I’d love to see some pictures of what you guys running the 36-1 wheel have come up with.  Thanks!  Brendan

IMG_1782.JPG

If you are using an adjustable timing light the reading on the light will be 2X the actual advance.    If the timing light says 20 deg you are at 10deg at the crankshaft. 

if you want to check this with 36(-1) teeth on the wheel.  each one is 10 degrees apart, put your timing light on one tooth and look at the reading on the light, now turn the knob until the next tooth is lined up, the dial should say you are 20 degrees more advanced. 

Thanks guys, I kind of figured on the 2x reading to get actual advance.  Would that mean even with timing tape, it would still display double? 

On 10/30/2017 at 6:05 PM, jimk said:

Set your map to read 0 deg (or if MS allows to lock timing lock at 0deg) and check the TDC on the flywheel.  Haltech allows a lock to any degree you want.

Jimk, I’m not following you on how to check advance this way.  Am I missing something?  Thanks guys!  Brendan

To be on the same page, the timing you are doing is synchronizing the ECU to the actual crankshaft position.  Once done, never needed again, use the timing advance map from there on.

Which part are you not clear on?  TDC mark or setting the map to 0deg (temporarily of course)  in the area of the map where it is idling at.  I don't have an adjustable timing light so no adjustment of the light is needed.

If you want to set the timing map to 10deg (or some other number)  instead and use the timing light adjust to dial in the 10deg and shoot the flywheel TDC mark.

Some ECUs let you lock the timing (run at a fixed timing advance) for performing the synchronization..

Not perfectly accurate but really easy way to check things with a basic timing light is to just count the teeth, since they're all 10 degrees apart. And edis limp home mode defaults to 10 deg btdc, so with megasquirt disconnected the tdc mark should line up exactly one tooth ahead of the one you marked. 

Our you could also set megasquirt to 25 deg btdc and look for the original ball on the flywheel too.

Edited by AustrianVespaGuy