Electric Fuel Pump Question

Chris_B

I am installing a Carter 504 electric fuel pump in my 02- not because I think it is a great idea, but I was laboring under the misconception that it would make my life easier when working on my dual sidedraft setup. I had been using Cannon manifolds, which positioned the front carb such that I had to remove the fuel pump whenever I wanted to remove the top cover of the carb (e.g., when checking float height). I decided to nuke the Cannon manifolds, primarily because they are designed in a way that prevents syncing the front to rear carbs. The rear manifold is canted up (I would guess to help it clear the brake booster) such that it is impossible to link the front and rear carbs.  I tried to modify the linkage to make this work, but could not. Anyone with dual sidedrafts know how important it is to balance the carbs.  IE came out with a single piece manifold and I bought one and am installing it.

Now that I have installed the manifold (see pic), I find that there seems to be plenty of clearance to remove the top of the carb. Anyway, I am committed to install the electric pump. Here is my question. The docs that come with the pump say "DO NOT INSTALL IN THE TRUNK." Yet, in searching on the list, I see that many people have installed pumps in their trunks. I understand that the concern is that if there is a problem with the pump, a hose or there is car crash, etc. that would be bad thing. I am wondering if any of you or anyone you know has ever experience a problem because of a fuel pump installed in the trunk. carbs1.thumb.JPG.cf553e29c94a3121d0d1e3bbed8a21af.JPG

Here

12 hours ago, Chris_B said:

The docs that come with the pump say "DO NOT INSTALL IN THE TRUNK." Yet, in searching on the list, I see that many people have installed pumps in their trunks. I understand that the concern is that if there is a problem with the pump, a hose or there is car crash, etc. that would be bad thing

That's the safety statement and not adhering means there isn't snowball's chance in hell for a successful claim from a fire.  Take heart.

Pegasus has an inertial switch that you should use in case of an accident it will disconnect the power to the pump.  I am about to install the same pump, for different reasons. I want to have the fuel line outside the main cabin, and also be able to control the fuel pressure.  Also I will install a canister type filter for the fuel filter along with a return type regulator. 

The point is to keep the fuel outside the cabin, and away from impact points.  Keep it underneath the car and in the middle so if you get hit, there is less chance of it spilling fuel all over the place.  

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=87

The pump would really rather push. 

I am wondering if any of you or anyone you know has ever experience a problem because of a fuel pump installed in the trunk. 

I put one in the trunk and had a problem- water leaked in, the pump sat in it, and the thing stopped working.

But no fire, fuel leaks, etc.

As to the Ford switches, they're usually in the trunk, driver's side, and there's usually

a yellow notice explaining that it's back there so you can reset it if need be.

Note the installation angle- I think all that really matters is that it's mounted exactly vertically.  They're cool.

t

I mounted my carter 4 psi pump under the car, above the diff and used the return line as feed.  After two pump failures, I am tired of the thing being hard to get at.  I am working on a trunk mounted, switchable, redundant pump solution.  And because I spent real money on better gear, I will probably never need the second pump. 

No automatic alt text available.