New (old) Parts (Refinished)

markmac

Recently finished up to small batches of stuff (parts) that i needed to have finished/refinished.  Did some experimenting with 'Vapor Blasting'.  I have to say I am really pleased with the results.  It isn't inexpensive to do (at least from this shop) but the results are....judge for yourself (before and after images below).  I had my front hubs done, brake rotor hats (front & back), hat retaining rings (steel), spring perch/retainers, strut bearing mount + a few other  odds and ends.  Was a pretty good lot of parts.  Some before and afters.  See attached link for the shop I used that also describes the process, totally safe on metal, works on steel, aluminum, mag....whatever....super cleans the metal and peens it at the same time so it is sealed (but doesn't lose texture either), wont eff up bearing races, or mating surfaces....almost sounds too good to be true.  Maybe it is.  They also do 'vapor honing'  and can remove machine tool marks out of aluminum, I had a few pieces that were pretty chewed up and the were able to do a pretty nice job on them. The vapor blasting company is located South San Jose.

http://www.nexgenpf.com/services/vapor-blasting.html

I also did have my suspension springs powder coated.  I know there are a lot of choices on that work.  Again I found a place just a few miles from where I live (Belmont, CA) called accessories plus.  GREAT SHOP.  They stripped the old powder off these springs, re-coated them in the color I wanted .... all for ....wait for it....wait for it.....ok  $54.  I almost asked if they made a mistake.  I haven't done anything on my car for $54.  Parts were all together in a tray, wrapped in plastic with my name on them....nice!

http://www.accessoriesplushhc.com/

All too often you read here about some jacked up dishonest vendor, cheater, etc., nice to work with honest folks who do great work at reasonable prices.  The Vapor Blasting is essentially $125/hr so what things cost depends on what condition your parts are in, how big, how many etc.,

001.JPG

002.JPG

005.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

Real nice guy, had my stuff done in like 4 days.  Great business, they had a lot of parts in there.  Whats nice about it is that it is totally safe and doesn't screw up the surface metal like some of the dry media's can.  He had VW mag engine case in there he was about to do - often times getting dry media into something that has 'oiling' is a big no-no as the media can embed in the metal and then end up in your oiling system.  I am far from an expert, only know what I read and what shop owners tell me.