Overheating issue

Hi everyone, 

I am having a intermittent overheating issue mainly when idling too long, I am pretty sure the thermostat is the culprit (or it doesn't hurt to replace that first anyway). 

My main question is what temperature people typically prefer...the oem 176/180? or something a little colder? Also does anyone have a preference on coolant as well. BMW coolant or is there another option people prefer?? 

Thanks in advanced 

And don't forget to burp all the air out of the cooling system. 

Do this by raising the front of the car (or park on a steep hill) and loosening the temp sender. Then massage the coolant hoses until only coolant escapes. Tighten the sender before air gets sucked in.

Kinda like bleeding your brake system.

I've owned my car for 27 years now.  For the first 24 years my temp gauge was very indecisive. UP and down, UP when climbing hills or stopped in traffic, down below normal when coasting downhill.  Horrible when stopped in traffic at the height of summer.  Many times I was biting my nails when the needle would climb close to the red.

Since I drained my block and had my rad recored with a higher volume core (+25%) the temp gauge rarely moves above 3 o'clock and usually sits at 3:30, Winter or Summer.  Vancouver or California. Idling or at 4200 rpms for hours.   I have the 180 thermostat, newish water pump, and tropical fan.  

For some reason I haven't had to burp my cooling system either.  I believe it's because I always open my heater valve before draining and filling my system.  The M10 coolant pathways seem well designed to accept coolant and expel air.   Or maybe I'm just lucky.:)

Any 50/50 coolant is good, IMHO.  I've never tried WaterWetter.  Someday.

1 hour ago, PaulTWinterton said:

I've owned my car for 27 years now.  For the first 24 years my temp gauge was very indecisive. UP and down, UP when climbing hills or stopped in traffic, down below normal when coasting downhill.  Horrible when stopped in traffic at the height of summer.  Many times I was biting my nails when the needle would climb close to the red.

Since I drained my block and had my rad recored with a higher volume core (+25%) the temp gauge rarely moves above 3 o'clock and usually sits at 3:30, Winter or Summer.  Vancouver or California. Idling or at 4200 rpms for hours.   I have the 180 thermostat, newish water pump, and tropical fan.  

For some reason I haven't had to burp my cooling system either.  I believe it's because I always open my heater valve before draining and filling my system.  The M10 coolant pathways seem well designed to accept coolant and expel air.   Or maybe I'm just lucky.:)

Any 50/50 coolant is good, IMHO.  I've never tried WaterWetter.  Someday.

That burping thing has always mystified me.  This car does not seem to need it.  Back when I had my M30 e34, burping was a huge deal, with lots of cautions and warnings to do it right or risk damage.  My e34 never needed to be burped.  Either I've been very lucky or my technique, whatever it is, seems to be effective. I do open the heater ports but other than that, I do nothing special.

I use a 160-degree thermostat.  I've done the same with great success on a previous collector car that was prone to overheating (SAAB Sonett).   I have been very pleased with never seeing the needle go beyond halfway - usually stays below that.  Maybe the cooler temperature is not the most efficient. I'll trade that for not worrying about overheating.

2 hours ago, Healey3000 said:

That burping thing has always mystified me.  This car does not seem to need it.  Back when I had my M30 e34, burping was a huge deal, with lots of cautions and warnings to do it right or risk damage.  My e34 never needed to be burped.  Either I've been very lucky or my technique, whatever it is, seems to be effective. I do open the heater ports but other than that, I do nothing special.

The M44 in my 318ti MUST be bled/burped or else the cooling system/heater will not operate efficiently. It makes me appreciate the simplicity of the 02's cooling system.