E30 question

esty

sorry guys for a stupid question...since i had a stroke, some things are completely foreign to me...i'm at work and none of the guys here even know a car engine when they see it, so i couldn't ask them

occasionally my 1's and 0's align, sometimes not

Just now, jimk said:

The car is an IX and it is the aluminum oil pan.  The right front axle shaft passes thru it.

Jim. the car, as far as i know isn't an IX unless BMW made IX convertibles...it's an 87 e30iC that i bought last night

bought from original owner, 90K miles

5.jpg.b688b2abc58535c123a0406b31bf009e.jpg5.jpg.b688b2abc58535c123a0406b31bf009e.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice car.  My mistake, I was looking at the bellows on the steering rack, not the axles.  I owned an IX for 5 years and sold it 2 years ago,

I guy here had bought a car like yours about that time and was flipping it and wanted $7k.  Hope you got a deal.

Make sure you know when the timing belt was last changed and follow the service on that.  If it goes, you end up with a bunch of bent valves.  I have the bicycle wrench to remove the fan.

Edited by jimk

37 minutes ago, jimk said:

Very nice car.  My mistake, I was looking at the bellows on the steering rack, not the axles.  I owned an IX for 5 years and sold it 2 years ago,

I guy here had bought a car like yours about that time and was flipping it and wanted $7k.  Hope you got a deal.

Make sure you know when the timing belt was last changed and follow the service on that.  If it goes, you end up with a bunch of bent valves.  I have the bicycle wrench to remove the fan.

Jim, i don't know when the belt was changed, if ever but that's the 1st thing i'll do before driving it...i already own an 87iC... a neighbor and my husband changed the timing belt a couple of years ago...iirc, it wasn't such a big deal...just taking everything off that you need to to get to the belt

we have the wrench...bought it for the above belt change...and i think i bought it at a great price, considering what these cars are selling for anymore...i may not keep it, i need to drive it a bit...the only thing i not sure about about it, it's an automatic...maybe it'll be a good commuter, easier in traffic

EuroTech...i believe the BMW color name is Mauritiusblau...its dark blue with tan interior and top

steve and i picked up the new e30 tonight...i drove it home...i like the auto but no doubt it would be more fun if a 5 speed

i see a lot of cars and have to say this is the most original, nicest, cleanest 30 year old car i've ever seen...the bumper even still shine like new aluminum bumpers

everything worked except the odometer and tach + a big huge bright red check engine light that flashes

steve and i picked up the new e30 tonight...i drove it home...i like the auto but no doubt it would be more fun if a 5 speed

i see a lot of cars and have to say this is the most original, nicest, cleanest 30 year old car i've ever seen...the bumper even still shine like new aluminum bumpers

everything worked except the odometer and tach + a big huge bright red check engine light that flashes

Broken odometer gears one of the typical e30 issues... big bright red check engine light that flashes?? You mean the check control flashes from the center instrument cluster “check” in orange? Are there any lights on in the roof check control panel? I didn’t think early e30s had check engine lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk