M10 2.0 Twin carbs Conversion

Leonel

Hi, 

I´m doing a "dual carb" conversion on a m10 2-0 engine.

I bought the engine a few months ago, and i´m doing the conversion when i have a free time. It´s almost a hobbie :)

Well, i searched a lot in here, i sow lots of pictures, but i still have some questions.

So, i finding some of you who can help me.

My question is:

I bought the original water bypass pipe, with the rubber reducer. But there is a water line on the block that is open. Someone told me that this water line must be closed/blocked.

Is this true? Can someone tell me how to do that? Thank you all.

Regards,

Leonel

What year is your 02?  Does it have all the late model smog equipment?  Maybe pics of your current setup.  Since these are 40-50 year old cars they started with different equipment and over the years people “upgraded” things like carbs and manifolds and removed things so pics would be good so we know what your starting point is. 

Edited by jrhone

On a 2002 I think those go to the heater box.  Have a pic of what u are talking about?  I’m not aware of a water hose that has to be blocked on the engine block. If you have the correct hoses and there is no emissions or something trying to go to a water choke on the stock manifold. 

Edited by jrhone

I have a blocked coolant line on my block, right around where the starter bolts up.  I think I just used a rubber hose, put a big bolt in the end to block it, and put a hose clamp around that bolt.  Not sure if thats the way you're supposed to do it, but its what I did.

I can't remember exactly why I put it there, upgraded to dual sidedraft weber carbs over 10 years ago.   I have coolant bypass in place, heater works fine, and it doesn't overheat, hah.  

Edited by KFunk

#5, where does it go on a normal car?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2213-USA-03-1974-114-BMW-2002&diagId=11_2360

The parts list says National version Japan and National version Sweden get the connector, but other cars get a plug?  

Something emissions related, maybe?  Must be harmless to block it if most cars got a plug.  Don't think my car is Swedish or Japanese though.

Maybe it got an extra temp sender for emissions system in some cars?

Edited by KFunk

This is the correct one when you do carb conversions but it is not cheap

08 Return pipe   1 01/1964 04/1972 11531251084 $174.07  

Ireland has a replacement pipe for 80 bucks that comes with a new heater hose that matches up quite nicely.  This is if you want to do a clean job or just use a piece of hose with a bolt stuck in the end to block the hose fitting on the original one.

Thanks, Rick

5 hours ago, Leonel said:

Is this true? Can someone tell me how to do that? Thank you all.

Yes, this block fitting is the return line for the water choke on the Solex/Weber carb.  You can connect a short piece of hose with a bolt in one end to plug it, or you can remove the fitting on the block as shown in the RealOEM diagram kFunk provided and replace it with the appropriate size screw plug, or you can braze the fitting shut.

Mark92131

Hi,

Thank you all.

I guess Mark92131 says it all. I also think that plug is is the return line for the water choke.

My question was if this plug (when closed) will make the engine overheat. But i guess it won't, since this "an extra" for the choke.

Thanks,

Regards. 

On 10/28/2017 at 5:17 PM, Leonel said:

Kfunk,

How does it run with dual sidedraft weber carbs?

What are the big diferences? How about the petrol consumption?

Oh, they’re awesome and transform the car.  I’m the one weirdo that thinks they’re pretty easy to set up, and I get 22 to 31 miles per gallon depending on the driving (22 while hammering on them on my curvy road commute, or 31 on a long highway drive).  Other people will tell you they are bizarrely frustrating and get you horrible fuel mileage, not sure why they’d say that. 

6 hours ago, KFunk said:

Oh, they’re awesome and transform the car.  I’m the one weirdo that thinks they’re pretty easy to set up, and I get 22 to 31 miles per gallon depending on the driving (22 while hammering on them on my curvy road commute, or 31 on a long highway drive).  Other people will tell you they are bizarrely frustrating and get you horrible fuel mileage, not sure why they’d say that. 

I'm with you on that. Didn't muck with them for years but once fitted I'd never go back to anything else. And it was a piece of cake, but I guess not all side drafts are created equal :-)