Emissions Help

JFM

Looking for help.  I bought a 1976 '02 from Portland and they do not have emissions control, or at least for not that old of a car, and one of the previous owners ripped out all the emission equipment.  In Boulder, CO the cutoff year is '75 so I am required to have emissions equipment.  Any help guidance or pictures of a working system to a meet up to see whites there would be great.

You might have more immediate response on this question in the general forum because there have been quite a few owners in CA that had to reinstall the equipment.  I think it had the same equipment when first sold in all the states.  My car is older and didn't have the same equipment nor do I have to meet the current Colorado testing that your car needs.

Edited by jimk

Current Colorado emissions Regs (as of 12/16):

• Vehicles model years 1975-and-older can be registered as "collector's items" with no emissions inspection requirement  or mileage restriction. However, if the vehicle is not specifically registered as a "collector's item," an emissions inspection is required every year. 
  • Vehicles model year 1976 to 1984 that have been registered as a "collector's item" prior to Sept. 1, 2009, and the registration has never lapsed or expired, do not require an emissions inspection and there is no mileage restriction. If the vehicle has not previously been registered as a "collector's item," an emissions inspection is required every year.
  • Vehicles at least 32 years old are eligible for "collector's item" registration. However, in order to register as a "collector's item," these vehicles will require an initial emissions inspection and then must be inpsected every five years thereafter at the time of registration renewal. These vehicle have a mileage restriction limiting driving to no more than 4,500 miles per year. If the vehicle is being registered in a county that does not require an emissions inspection, only the mileage restriction applies.

So you'll likely need to pass the test at least once, given your 02 is newly imported (and you get Collectors plates).

For the test, there's the actually sniffer-part (which you can readily pass w/o all the OEM emissions equipment), and there's the 'mechanical inspection' part.  For the latter - you're in the hands of the inspector you happen to encounter.  If they know their stuff on older cars, or know how to look up and detect all the appropriate 'visuals' under the hood - you'll likely need to reinstall at least the carcass of the main OEM components.

I will say this though (and I have a 76 that used to be required to pass emissions) - I passed emissions at least 3 times in my 2002 after arriving in CO while running dual DCOE and headers, by passing the sniffer handily and being lucky enough to have the visual/mechanical done by newbies/innocents at the emissions center.. :P   I had no 'emissions stickers' on the car to refer to, and the guys seemed more interested in seeing if I had a catalytic converter underneath than knowing what else was what.  (I told one once the timing chain adjuster protruding next to my header was the thermal reactor his book mentioned. )  I'd pick the date/time to arrive with my car to enhance my 'newb' inspector chances too.  Your own experience might vary tho'.  Maybe inspectors are better trained now?

You should also decide whether to reinstall any OEM emissions stuff:  just temporarily to pass emissions,  permanently but non-functional and for visuals, or  permanently and fully functional.   The latter will be harder if only because locating everything in working order might be tough.  Good luck any way you go.

HTH,

Tom

thanks Tom.  Is yours still working and any chance I could come look at to see how it is setup.  I now at the point to make it work just to say I did it.  I talked to the emissions technology center and Boulder county today to try to get a reprieve but no way was the answer.  Someone pulled it out you have to put it back in.  I plan on doing whatever I have to do tom make it pass but I might try the adding of stuff to make it look like it works and going to a particular emission testing facility that I know is very lax. Any help is much appreciated.  I even tried to get the exemption b/c my car was born 11/75 but is a model 76.  I should have registered it as a 75, if I had known any better.  OH well it has been fun trying to gather all the information and meeting people in the process.  if this is my worse problem I got no problems.  

I never put ANY of the emissions stuff back on.  Just temporarily lean-tuned the carb set-up on the Webers, so I'd pass the sniffer-test fine - and lucked out on not getting a real mechanical-inspection.  So you don't want to look at mine for any tips...and I've got none of the required emission parts.

Im thinking of adding the air valve pump rig up some hoses and just go for it.  Waiting for tune up stuff and a new disty to make sure she is purring before I do that.  based on the rudimentary diagram on the engine bay I think I could pull it off.  

• Upcoming Events