Please critique this underbody

twistinglane

yeah, was it recently pressure washed?,,  I don't see the usual real time rust prevention,, (leaky parts, providing oil coverage). I do see all the new parts, and if recently pressure washed, there may be water where it has never been before,,, resulting in some rust,, down the road,, where you wouldn't expect it, rear fender lips, I would want to address all the surface rust now,,, but does not look like structure has been compromised, and overall in good shape, I just wouldn't leave it that way. Needs attention, now. Gas tank suspect, wouldn't want a leak,

Any under carpet pics? Floor around pedal box? Frame rail near pedal box from inside? Rear shock towers/trunk from inside? The front portion of both rockers look like they need a closer look.

The real problem is the rockers and frame rails can rust from the inside out. One needs to poke at them with a probe to see if they are soft. They can look good in pic's but be very soft from the inside out.

How is the rust around your front and rear window seals? Easily covered with a quickie respray. How are the door bottoms?

Adamha thanks for the specific tips for inspection. Given the car's out of way location, my next step would be to arrange for a body man I'm in touch with to examine the car. He knows rust, but not BMWs so these suggestions are helpful. 

Per a comment above, I believe frame rails came with the weep holes seen.

44 minutes ago, Adamha said:

Any under carpet pics? Floor around pedal box? Frame rail near pedal box from inside? Rear shock towers/trunk from inside? The front portion of both rockers look like they need a closer look.

The real problem is the rockers and frame rails can rust from the inside out. One needs to poke at them with a probe to see if they are soft. They can look good in pic's but be very soft from the inside out.

How is the rust around your front and rear window seals? Easily covered with a quickie respray. How are the door bottoms?

I agree with Adamha in seeking out the extent of the corrosion creep.. looks by the pics the frame rails may have a lil more than the other parts of the car but revealing the floor pans from the interior side should be a big help. I would re and re the floor pan plates as well to make sure the is no corrosion present.. it sometimes makes its way under the sealing compound. Also If it is a sunroof car make sure you check all the interior pillars and window frames too, another choke point for rust to lurk.

Looks like a solid starter......good luck with it!

Mike

There are chemicals out there which will dissolve that surface rust, reseal with factory paint using a roller and paint sanding techniques and you will get excellent results. As others have stated the top of the frame rails (attached to the floorpans) could use inspection, but I wouldn't lose sleep over them. There are two holes in the shock tower which are accessible from the rear wheel wells. Pull the plugs out if still there and feel the inside, you will know if there is rust in the shock towers after this. You can pull the rear door cards and insert an inspection camera through the frame rail from this cavity if you wish to further inspect the rockers.

I will comment that on the outside of the tank there is a structural support which appears to be rusted through. Between the tank and where the rear quarter panel attaches to the floor. If it is rusted through as it appears in the picture, I would pull the tank and inspect the floor area of the trunk there. It would also appear that there could be rust at the inner well seam just ahead of this area where the sections of metal meet. 

Looks like the car has been recently cared for and a decent driver as-is. Depending on what the seller is asking, I wouldn't be dissuaded based on these pictures.

Edited by LikeStig

2 hours ago, yeewiz said:

isn't that a rust hole in the frame rail in the 2nd to last picture?  originally I thought not bad at all looking at the earlier pictures, but that hole to me portends bad news or at least much more rust than is apparent

That hole is actually a drain hole...like belly buttons on people, every 02 has one (actually two, one per side).  They're the drains for the frame rails' nether ends.  However, there appears to be more rust around the hole on the driver's side than on the passenger's side.  That's the sign of a leaking master cylinder at sometime in the car's past.  Brake fluid runs down that frame rail and rusts it out from the inside.  Doesn't look too bad yet, but I'd investigate that further.  Many years ago I had to replace that whole stretch of frame rail on my '69 due to a very slowly leaking M/C.  

Otherwise the underside looks pretty clean for a 41-43 year old car.  However the gas tank, especially at the midpoint seam, looks sketchy.

I also suspect the underside's been power washed recently...Differentials, unless new are never that shiny!

mike