Newbie Perplexed by Drive Shaft Differences

misterjalopy

I assure you, I have done a lot of Googling and forum searching, and I am sure I will be embarassed to learn that I missed the answer right in front of my face. 

The car is a 1976 four speed manual. 

The old drive shaft is considerably longer and has a four bolt interface, while the new Dorman remanufactured unit is considerably shorter and has a three bolt interface. 

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

It would be useful to know how many inches shorter the remanufactured unit is than your old piece. It could be shortened for a GETRAG 245  but from the picture it almost looks too short for that.  Was the Dorman advertised for both e21 and 2002? Lastly, the 6-bolt Guibo is more desirable than the 8-bolt Guibo due to strength. Your stock GETRAG 232 presumably has the 4-bolt flange.

5 minutes ago, Clint Carroll said:

It would be useful to know how many inches shorter the remanufactured unit is than your old piece. It could be shortened for a GETRAG 245  but from the picture it almost looks too short for that.  Was the Dorman advertised for both e21 and 2002? Lastly, the 6-bolt Guibo is more desirable than the 8-bolt Guibo due to strength. Your stock GETRAG 232 presumably has the 4-bolt flange.

It is approximately 5 3/8" shorter. 

It is a DORMAN 936380 which appears to be 2002, 1602 2002tii specific. 

According to the factory shop manual, short neck diff cars with automatics and stick use the same length driveshaft, which is 62.88 inches long.  The driveshaft for a long neck diff is 53.39 inches.  Longneck diffs were used on 2002s up to VIN 1664760.  The difference is nearly ten inches, so the measurements you provide would negate it being for a car equipped with a long neck diff.  If the rearmost sections are the same length from your new and old driveshafts, and since I don't have specs for E21 driveshafts, my guess would be that it's for an E21 320.  

Regardless, you ain't gonna stretch it enough to fit your car.  Take it back.

mike

Thanks everybody!

Mystery is partially solved.

If you go to any of the online parts fitment guides, they show the Dorman 936-680 as being the correct driveshaft for the manual 2002s.

If you go to Dorman direct, they state that the Dorman 936-680 is for automatic transmissions.

All that said, the driveshaft I rec'd is still short per Mike's spec's above, stating that they were the same length for auto and manual. And, if you just look at the Dorman photo, the driveshaft appears to be much longer than what I got.

Only partially solved. Thanks everybody!59f8fae0b6d98_ScreenShot2017-10-31at3_31_03PM.thumb.png.c7251173ec3dc5252482150a2c14aba1.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 3.33.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 3.32.44 PM.png

• 1 year later...