• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BELLHOUSING SAFETY BLANKET

Dudeland

A high quality flywheel, installed with new bolts and loctite to flywheel manufacturer's torque spec, should perform well for you (and safely.) No reason you can't spin the thing to 7000 rpm without danger. Tip: put the loctite in the crankshaft threads...not just on the bolts. 

But.... if you install it incorrectly, things can go down hill rapidly. Found a loose one on a local race car, last summer.... yeeks! Pure installer error. Not the flywheel at fault. Destroyed the crankshaft, clutch, and nearly the transmission. 

IMG_6551.JPG

Edited by wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

1 minute ago, wegweiser said:

A high quality flywheel, installed with new bolts and loctite to flywheel manufacturer's torque spec, should perform well for you (and safely.) No reason you can't spin the thing to 7000 rpm without danger. Tip: put the loctite in the crankshaft threads...not just on the bolts. 

But.... if you install it incorrectly, things can go down hill rapidly. Found a loose one on a local race car, last summer.... yeeks! Pure installer error. Not the flywheel at fault. Destroyed the crankshaft, clutch, and nearly the transmission. 

@wegweiser:  I believe you, but how did it cause so much damage?

Rattling / friction during 7400 rpm dyno pulls. :( Tghe whole car was a death trap, as I found out. I fixed a ton of scary things under this car (loose tie rod nuts, loose axle bolts, incorrectly installed oil pressure valve, loose oil supply bolt in head, etc etc...)

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Adding any safety device to a car can’t be debated, it’s a smart thing to do.  I’m with the others though, if the flywheel is installed correctly with new bolts and lock tite (as well as the clutch) you should not have to worry about it coming apart.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

Adding any safety device to a car can’t be debated, it’s a smart thing to do.  I’m with the others though, if the flywheel is installed correctly with new bolts and lock tite (as well as the clutch) you should not have to worry about it coming apart.

So, everyone needs to cage their cars, wear race helmets, sirens, flashing lights....... ;)

-Says the person who had FOUR brake lights on his 02..... :)

Case in point, a friend who a number of us here know, was hot rodding around in his 2002.  He dropped the clutch for a high-rpm burnout on a race-spec motor.  Everything blew, tearing up the tunnel and the passenger side of the cabin.  Everything was bolted/torqued correctly, but we are talking all-race bits driven in a manner other than intended.

As mentioned, it kinda depends on you and your application.  I don't see the need on my car (lightened steel flywheel).  

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned is if during the lightening process the flywheel was not balanced well.

Edited by AceAndrew

31 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

I don't see the need on my car (lightened steel flywheel).  

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned is if during the lightening process the flywheel was not balanced well.

That's what I have too, huge chunks of metal machined away. Balanced by the shop that did the machining (Korman) and then checked and rebalanced by my machinist (Hampton Engines). I guess as long as it's machined and balanced properly it should be okay. I wonder if because it has less rotating mass it's actually less of a worry.

My son sits in the passenger seat and so does the fuel line.  I am moving to an external fuel line ( insert comment about self-sealing line here) and although I believe my flywheel is just fine , if it ever let go, my son could get hurt. 

I am not revving the shit out of it, just a daily driver. $200-300 is a nice dinner and a bottle of wine where I live. I would rather have a blanket just in case one let go. 

I remember a friend had one let go in a Camaro, and it nearly took his leg off.  Is anyone out there on the racing side have a recommended size or brand? I am not sure where to start. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I did look at it a long time ago- there's not a lot of room.

(I was trying to put it over the bellhousing, not the tunnel)

And everything domestic is huge, to cover that C4 or TH400.

I talked myself out of it by rationalizing that the flywheel's well ahead of my toes, anyway...

But I agree, what does a little sound deadening hurt, huh?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I will measure the circumference and see if there is something out there. I would think that there would be a fit with a Japanese rear wheel drive car.  I am guessing that the transmission size is a little smaller than the big American tin.

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Ha- maybe since I looked, the Subie crowd has developed something!

they seem to blow up everything pretty spectacularly...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL