When to remove the hood...

Hodgepodge

Later this week...and next week..and probably the week after that, I'll be pulling the smog stuff and replacing nearly everything in front of the engine including all belts, hoses, the alternator, the water pump, pulling the A/C unit, removing and flushing the radiator, etc, and I'll be replacing the exhaust manifold as well as several gaskets.  It seems like there is enough room to work under there with the hood up and attached, but I'm curious.   

How big of a job does it have to be for one to consider removing the hood for better access?   I know these hoods are a PITA to remove and reinstall.   Is it worth it to remove the hood for anything short of an engine removal?     

As always, I appreciate your thoughts.  

Thanks,

Scott

If you mark the hinges in front by scribing or a shot of spray paint so you can return to a baseline, you won't have any problems. It is only if you remove the buffers and catches that it becomes tricky to set up. The position of the bolts that hold the arms to the tops of the inner wings needs to be noted to. A few pictures before you start will help. 

There should be no reason to remove the hood to do anything in an 02 bay, to be honest. Even pulling a motor out the top can be done with it in-place, but the easiest way is still dropping out the bottom. 

My personal opinion is it's worth it to keep it in place. I'm more afraid of damage with it detached and resting on an edge or getting knocked over, let alone having to deal with re-installing and alignment. .

I’d leave the hood in place if possible, it can be a pain to reinstall, aligning everything up correctly.  Clamshell hoods look cool when opened but the limited access they give working on the engine compartment can be frustrating.  Mercedes has the best opening hoods for ease of access, hinged at the firewall with the ability to open them up standing straight up.

In reality you shouldn't have to remove the hood for any maintenance/repairs to the engine/engine-bay area and personally I wouldn't bother. That being said, a method to ensure proper alignment when reinstalling the hood is to drill a small hole 1/8"/3/16" through each hinge and into the hood very carefully so as not to damage the outer skin of the hood. When reinstalling the hood place the same size drill bit into each hole and the hood should be in perfect alignment. Doesn't hurt to make marks like other posters mentioned.

You will save a lot of effort with the reinstall if you remove only the lower half hinge bolts behind the grill, not those on the hood.  And even at that do the drill hole that Torquewrench80 suggests.

Reason is you only have to set the height.  If the hood bolts are remove there is fore/aft and yaw that are messier to reset.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I’d leave the hood in place if possible, it can be a pain to reinstall, aligning everything up correctly.  Clamshell hoods look cool when opened but the limited access they give working on the engine compartment can be frustrating.  Mercedes has the best opening hoods for ease of access, hinged at the firewall with the ability to open them up standing straight up.

I'm going to leave it.  Mercedes?  Except for the 230/250/280SL Pagoda.  Great access but if you opened the hood too far, it could chip the paint. There was supposed to be a strap to prevent over-extending but many of these cars don't have it.   My Alfa Duetto is also chipped at the hood hinge from a PO or mechanic not reinstalling it correctly.  All good advice.      

1 hour ago, torquewrench80 said:

In reality you shouldn't have to remove the hood for any maintenance/repairs to the engine/engine-bay area and personally I wouldn't bother. That being said, a method to ensure proper alignment when reinstalling the hood is to drill a small hole 1/8"/3/16" through each hinge and into the hood very carefully so as not to damage the outer skin of the hood. When reinstalling the hood place the same size drill bit into each hole and the hood should be in perfect alignment. Doesn't hurt to make marks like other posters mentioned.

Torquewrench and all, very good information about scribe-ing and/or drilling a pin hole.  I'm going to try the pinhole idea prior to painting.   My trunk is already out of alignment so I can't do it back there.  

Looks like consensus is that it should not be necessary to remove the hood to get everything out and I will follow that advice.  Thanks! 

12 hours ago, Hodgepodge said:

I'm going to leave it.  Mercedes?  Except for the 230/250/280SL Pagoda.  Great access but if you opened the hood too far, it could chip the paint. There was supposed to be a strap to prevent over-extending but many of these cars don't have it.   My Alfa Duetto is also chipped at the hood hinge from a PO or mechanic not reinstalling it correctly.  All good advice.      

Yup Mercedes.  Pic of my old 190e attached with the hood ‘wide’ open...doesn’t damage the paint either!

B70873A1-1AE9-436B-8ACA-6467007A6473.jpeg