4sp Getrag 242

Hi all:

Will need to replace my 4 speed trans at some point as it is beginning to crunch going into 2nd gear. 

Anyone have a 242 that is known to be in great shape? (No crunches, whines, hard to shift gears, etc). No junk yard finds, or second hand purchases please.... 1st hand knowledge of a 242 in great working condition with later synchros. 

Local preferred..NJ/PA/NY

Thanks!

Vince

I researched all the parts (there were a ton of em) to rebuild a 5 speed, last year. Parts alone were over $500. (bearings, synchros, seals, etc) and that's assuming I don't screw it up, building it. I agree... it would make for a cool project, but for the cost of a "known good" gearbox ($200 +/-) I've found that getting a used one,  to be my preferred route. I'm gentle on gearboxes...so I expect 200-250k miles out of mine. :)

On 10/24/2017 at 9:19 PM, mvliotta said:

Hi all:

Will need to replace my 4 speed trans at some point as it is beginning to crunch going into 2nd gear. 

Anyone have a 242 that is known to be in great shape? (No crunches, whines, hard to shift gears, etc). No junk yard finds, or second hand purchases please.... 1st hand knowledge of a 242 in great working condition with later synchros. 

Local preferred..NJ/PA/NY

Thanks!

Vince

Vince,

I still have the 4 speed I removed from my tii in 2009.  I had replaced all the seals, reverse light switch and was running Red Line in it.  It does have a perpetual leak at the tailshaft section (the gasket joint which you must split the case).  Synchronizers were very good, with nice smooth shifting.  I'm almost hesitant to sell it.  Maybe we can work something out.

As removed in 2009 (is cleaner than this)

pics3192010004.jpg

pics3192010005.jpg

Serial number

pics3192010003.jpg

Bellhousing casting date (mid-71)

pics3192010002.jpg

• 1 month later...