One-upped at the Grocery Store

saaron

So my wife and I went to the store, and since the weather was nice, we drove the 02.  Usually, it is the coolest car in the parking lot (at least to me), and being we were at the fancy grocery store, I was anticipating a few nice comments, as usual.  

I parked next to a fellow shopper that had a slightly nicer car...oooff.

And then my wife says, "hey that thing is gorgeous...can we get one of those instead?"

Ooof.

Scott

IMG_2683.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I can chime in with first hand knowledge since I own a 1968 e type series 1.5.

The Jaguar is great to drive however I would never go the grocery store in it. I feel like I need to wear a crushed velvet smoking jacket every time I drive the thing. It's not a day to day car. It's too fancy and draws to much attention.

I am completely comfortable taking my 2002 anywhere.

P_20171021_112233.jpg

P_20171021_112428.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stevenc22 said:

The Jaguar is great to drive however I would never go the grocery store in it.

I know, right?  That is why it was such a shocker to see the E Type!  I saw the dignified older gentlemen that owned it walking by me.  He looked pretty happy, have to say.  

Can you tell if it is a coupe or 2+2?  I didn't peer in the car, and I can't quite tell from just the roofline from 20 feet away.  

Scott

52 minutes ago, saaron said:

So my wife and I went to the store, and since the weather was nice, we drove the 02.  Usually, it is the coolest car in the parking lot (at least to me), and being we were at the fancy grocery store, I was anticipating a few nice comments, as usual.  

I parked next to a fellow shopper that had a slightly nicer car...oooff.

And then my wife says, "hey that thing is gorgeous...can we get one of those instead?"

Ooof.

Scott

IMG_2683.JPG

Did you tell your wife.

"Yes, it is cool.  And if we get one of those we can visit it at our mechanic's shop anytime we want to see it". ..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It is a mid-sixties series 1 coupe.  Not a 2+2.  Starting with the series 3 cars, they all had the same longer chassis.    This one has the short chassis.  I'd guess a '65-67. '68's didn't have the glass headlight covers.   A 3.8 litre 6.  Series 1.5 and 2 cars had a 4.2 liter.  Those were actually both pretty good engines. Series 3 cars,starting 1971 had the horrible-to-work-on V-12.  The V-12, somehow, was Jags answer to emission controls.    

My brother had a '68 series 1.5 OTS (Convertible) and my sister had a '66 series 1 Coupe similar to this one.  They are beautiful and great cars but nowhere near as fun to drive as many others that you can toss around and not worry about. (To be fair, Jags are fun to drive, but a different fun...and they are very comfortable for the passenger.)   My '67 Duetto and '75 2002 could practically turn circles in the length of my brother's Jag.  

Nice cars, though....  :-) 

Other Scott

Edited by Hodgepodge

7 minutes ago, Hodgepodge said:

It is a mid-sixties series 1 coupe.  Not a 2+2.  Starting with the series 3 cars, they all had the same longer chassis.    This one has the short chassis.   Probably a 3.8 litre 6.  Series 2 cars had a 3.2 liter. 

Here's a pic of the rear.  Note the plate.

Thanks for the info, Scott.  I don't really know anything about them.  Other than my wife is right, they are gorgeous.  

Scott

IMG_2686.JPG

Cool.  My bad.  That is a very late '67 with the 4.2 litre engine.  4 pipes.  Probably the later, better transmission.   The next time you see the guy, ask him if it is a series 1.5, which is the unofficial name for transition cars in '67-68.  Clearly, that is a really nice car.  For the same money I'd rather have a 2002, an Alfa spider AND a TVR.   

Other scott

• Like 1

Back in the day, all us "kids" who had just graduated college were going crazy, buying new cars.  I had been spoiled in college because I was driving one of my dad's cars:  either a 1958 Morris Minor or a 1970 Chevelle SS396, and I continued driving one of those after graduation.  Meanwhile the parking lot at the Phib Base was filling up with XKE's and Datsun 260's and Jensen Healey's and Triumph's.  I really liked the XKE, but I'm glad I opted for the 2002tii for 4 huge reasons:

--  a.  great visibility compared to the XKE.

--  b.  you cannot get a cut-in-half 55-gallon-barrel bbq rig into the "trunk" of an XKE.

--  c.  now that I'm a few years older, getting out of the XKE would be a challenge.

--  d.  an XKE "trunk" will never ever achieve this "cool" factor:

52758_600x400.jpg

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Like 1