Performance Clinic

ingramlee

Funny you should ask.  They do primarily performance 'Merican engines for street and track, but when I approached 'em about doing my 73's engine they didn't hesitate.  It was the first BMW engine they had ever done (although they welded up a cylinder head on my '69 back in the late 1980s).  I copied all the spec pages out of the shop manual so they'd have measurements, and gave 'em a heads up about some of the M10's little quirks (like milling the upper timing chain cover along with the head. They did the engine about twelve years and 56,000 miles ago, and it's been perking along just fine ever since.  Pretty stock except for a 284 Schrick, 9.5 pistons and a ported head (which I did).  

I've been very happy the the engine they built--burns no oil between changes, and runs just fine.  I live only a few miles from the shop (it's actually in Beavercreek), and I've known Dave Middleton for many years; he's always done good work for me and he has good folks at his shop.

PM me if you want to discuss further.

Cheers

mike

Edited by mike

18 hours ago, mike said:

Funny you should ask.  They do primarily performance 'Merican engines for street and track, but when I approached 'em about doing my 73's engine they didn't hesitate.  It was the first BMW engine they had ever done (although they welded up a cylinder head on my '69 back in the late 1980s).  I copied all the spec pages out of the shop manual so they'd have measurements, and gave 'em a heads up about some of the M10's little quirks (like milling the upper timing chain cover along with the head. They did the engine about twelve years and 56,000 miles ago, and it's been perking along just fine ever since.  Pertty stock except for a 284 Schrick, 9.5 pistons and a ported head (which I did).  

I've been very happy the the engine they built--burns no oil between changes, and runs just fine.  I live only a few miles from the shop (it's actually in Beavercreek), and I've known Dave Middleton for many years; he's always done good work for me and he has good folks at his shop.

PM me if you want to discuss further.

Cheers

mike

Mike,

Thank you for the response and helpful information. I have just recently started the process of looking for places for what I hope is a winter rebuild. Performance was one of the places that was brought to my attention by a coworker. I also contacted a local well known BMW guru here in Columbus. He basically gave me a ballpark number that was well.. and I mean well.. above my budget for a complete rebuild. I hope to schedule a time in the coming weeks to visit Dave Middleton at his shop. Thanks again for your response.

Walter

On 10/24/2017 at 8:16 AM, ingramlee said:

Anyone in the Central Ohio area familiar with The Performance Clinic (The Engine CO.) in Dayton Ohio? I'm thinking about reaching out to them regarding an engine rebuild.

Thanks. 

Based on Mike's recommendation of The Performance Clinic early this year I drove 2+ hours to have some work done.

While I did not have my entire engine rebuilt by them, I did have the block bored to properly match the JE piston specs, rod's measured/honed/ARP fasteners pressed, piston rings installed/properly gapped for the forged pistons as well as some intricate welding/grinding on the lower timing cover to repair some serious pitting around the water pump sealing surface.

Everything was top notch and it was wonderful to meet Dave.  They work on a wide range of foreign and domestic engines - Dave told me a great story about some Jag E-type work they were doing at the time.  I will be a repeat customer.

Matt