Shorty Header question...

Hodgepodge

My ceramic coated shorty header arrived and I pulled it out to look at it.   Overall, it looks great, but I am seeing some things on it that trouble me a little.  I have installed other headers and don't remember these kinds of....anomalies.  I need for you guys to tell me if this is normal or if I should contact the guys I bought it from.  

Here are the things I see: 

1. The cast, welded on flange is not ground perfectly flat. You can still see the bead welds.  

2. The ports are not shaped consistently and are not the perfect oval shape that should match the ports on the block.  

3. Weld beads are visible in the ports and on the flange plate.  Some beads inside the ports are quite large.  

4. The exhaust ports are partially blocked by the header tube.

As I said, I've installed other headers and the flanges have all been polished and perfectly shaped.  Is what I'm seeing here normal for a one-piece ceramic coated header or should I contact the vendor and send this back?   

SCH_5227.JPG

SCH_5244.JPG

SCH_5245.JPG

SCH_5246.JPG

Edited by Hodgepodge

No replies all day. Hate when that happens. I wish I had good answer but only comment is a call to who you bought it from might help

I vaguely remember you commenting in a recent post about ordering this but maybe I imagined it. But if you got it from Ireland give a call. He/they are great and stand behind their stuff

OK. Back to football. Maybe that is why it is a slow day ???

12 hours ago, Hodgepodge said:

My ceramic coated shorty header arrived and I pulled it out to look at it.   Overall, it looks great, but I am seeing some things on it that trouble me a little.  I have installed other headers and don't remember these kinds of....anomalies.  I need for you guys to tell me if this is normal or if I should contact the guys I bought it from.  

Here are the things I see: 

1. The cast, welded on flange is not ground perfectly flat. You can still see the bead welds.  

2. The ports are not shaped consistently and are not the perfect oval shape that should match the ports on the block.  

3. Weld beads are visible in the ports and on the flange plate.  Some beads inside the ports are quite large.  

4. The exhaust ports are partially blocked by the header tube.

As I said, I've installed other headers and the flanges have all been polished and perfectly shaped.  Is what I'm seeing here normal for a one-piece aluminum, ceramic coated header or should I contact the vendor and send this back?   

Hopefully this helps to educate a bit. 

1)  The flange is not cast, it is water-jet out of 3/8" steel plate.  It is ground flat to the point where it will seal effectively.  Welding on the inside of the flange, rather than to its face, is a calculated feature.

2)   You absolutely do NOT want a header that perfectly matches the oval exhaust port shape.  You want there to be a step between the exhaust port and the primaries (unless you are building a crazy-race-spec M10 engine, and even then, a tiny step is nice).

3)   A little weld bead ring on the inside ensures a nice seal.  Again, because of the step, none of the welding variations are going to impede air flow.

The header is not aluminum, it is made from mild steel.  Needless to say using Aluminum would be a rather unfortunate choice in material.  What you are seeing here is normal and perfectly functional.

Hi Andrew, 

You are correct, the header is not aluminum and I corrected that in the original post.  Not sure why I said that....momentary lapse because the ceramic coating makes it look like aluminum, perhaps. 

I dropped the gasket on the header to see how the openings compared to the gasket.  Because of the inconsistent flange openings, some areas of the flange openings are smaller than the gasket openings on two ports.  In addition, the steel and fiber Victor Reinz gasket does not line up perfectly with the stud holes or the header openings, which could be another issue, but I'm honestly not sure what the tolerances should be. Of the three or four other headers I've installed (and half dozen regular exhaust manifolds I've re-installed), I've never had a gasket that didn't line up perfectly with the ports or studs.        

I've been doing a lot of business with this vendor and will be calling them today to discuss.  

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by Hodgepodge