VIsor reconditioning or suitable substitutes?

Hodgepodge

I saw some older threads on visors and am wondering if anyone came up with an ultimate solution.   Mine look like deflated Mylar balloons from last Christmas.   I have a couple of spare visors from other cars around and tried them, thinking maybe I could swap out the posts if I got the length correct.  Newer BMW visors are a rigid foam structure that has no hoop.    Close, but no cigar.    The E93 visor was the right size, but a little too narrow from post to hinge-pin.  Too bad because those visors are awesome.  The E61 visor was the right width from post to hinge-pin but it is just too big.  

So.....maybe we need to talk Esty into starting a new line of refurbished visors.....   :-)    It seems like a relatively simple thing to do for somebody with the right skills.   

Has anyone else found any suitable solutions?   I'm not thrilled about slicing mine open and inserting foam-board insulation.   

Thanks,

Scott

That makes sense.  The E28 post pins look almost identical.  I just found a pair of E28 visors on eBay and bought them for $20.00! 

Mintgrun, what mirror is that? 

Since the narrow 2002 mirrors aren't available anymore (as of my attempt to order one last week), maybe this will all work out great.

I will report back.  

Scott

Edited by Hodgepodge

36 minutes ago, Hodgepodge said:

mintgrun, what mirror is that? 

that mirror came out of a '72 Chevy Truck.

I cut the base off of an e21 stalk and screwed a glue-onto-the-windshield base on it, so I could use a double pivot mirror and get it up out of my line of sight. 

007.thumb.JPG.582e78e5f2949da5545ad6b2aea1502d.JPG

I like the look of the stock configuration, but it blocks too much of the view.  The e21 mirrors fit, if you grind a notch in the stalk, to fit over the windshield seal.  They are one inch wider than the 2002 mirror.  The one I put in is an inch wider than that.

You can see why I needed to install the e21 visors.

024.thumb.JPG.fcdb469461864f14f3d703e84623bc03.JPG

I've often wanted to experiment with refurbishing 2002 sunvisors.  First fasten two boards side by side, leaving enough space between 'em to equal the thickness of a new sunvisor--to serve as a form.  Then take some expanding foam that dries flexible--as opposed to the rigid stuff used for insulating--(I think it can be bought in aerosol cans or at least as a mix) and inject it into a deflated sunvisor that's been placed in the wooden form.  The form would keep the foam from ballooning the visor as it cured, 

Someone on the FAQ with more chemical knowledge than I can chime in with a suitable expanding foam mix that would work...

mike

Walloth Nesch sometimes offers new 2002 visors.

Old ones that aren't too puffy can be cleaned up with heavy duty vinyl cleaner, Griot's interior cleaner, Westley's Bleech White, Spray Nine or other cleaners. 

While we are on the cleaning subject--- a paste made from Comet, Ajax or other cleansing powder will help rejuvenate washer bottles and their caps.

Elbow grease needed for these tasks.

• Like 1

E30 visor is very close to original size, I just moved the snap over a taste. Big improvement, sorry no pic's. I think I have a extra set as well if interested.

I have the mirror with the lights below and it clears fine.

Edited by ifayeoh

15 hours ago, ifayeoh said:

E30 visor is very close to original size, I just moved the snap over a taste. Big improvement, sorry no pic's. I think I have a extra set as well if interested.

I have the mirror with the lights below and it clears fine.

Did you have trouble with the angle of install on the E30 visors? When i screw in the hinge all the way they get into an odd angle. I was considering making an angled block spacer to get them at a more normal angle. The other issue was not drilling new holes in the header till I knew it would all look good when i'm done.

Just for comparison, here is a shot of three visors I have on hand:  

Top one is the passenger side visor from my 2002.  One side white/one black.  

Middle is the E28 visor I bought on eBay.   I will need to move the clip post, but the screw-in post plate is correct.  Slightly different shape.  Solid foam.  

Bottom one is from an E93. (driver's side)  This one has a lighted mirror in it but the light is in the headliner so the wires are just for a switch in the sliding mirror cover.  

I also had an E61 visor but the screw in plate on the post-end has a snap off cover hiding the screws. It is also tan colored and it is much taller than these.  The post-to-pin distance is identical to the 2002 but it would take some work to get the post to fit.   

My headliner is in very good shape so I don't want to put any holes in it if I can help it (i.e. don't want to relocate the clip.)   It seems my options are dwindling and I might end up trying to re-stuff my 2002 visors since, except for the deflated foam, they also look very good.  

SCH_5255.JPG

Edited by Hodgepodge

After seeing this thread a few days ago, I went on eBay and found a pair of E30 visors for about 20 bucks.  Arrived in today's mail and they're already installed.  Fit just fine with one fairly minor modification.  Since the post is deeper than the original on my 71, it would hit the inside of the roof and not permit the mount to tighten down.  Easily fixed with a couple of 1/4 inch washers as spacers on each screw.  Tightens down just fine and holds everything in place.  I also changed the clips to the E30s which came with the visors because they are nicer than the originals.  Fit with no problem.  

Thanks 2002 FAQ once again. 

Sorry I took so long to respond.  I did not drill any holes or modify anything.  The clip fit right where the original one did using the original (I assume) screws and holes.  Same with the mounting post screws.  The washers that I used measured .060" thick each for a total spacer dimension of .120".  1/4" washers from my favorite parts store - Home Depot.  The clip is a little off center, but absolutely no effect on anything. 

image.png.8af7d1f7306bd6ecadcd511732ce9049.pngimage.png.75a3e86631aaff3ff175eb27bebdca9b.pngimage.png.92b67609f1821ad73e658fd4562f9e8b.png

Edited by Dick R