2.0 M10 $250 OBO

This M10 is currently outfitted with an NK-style thermostat.  I’d bet the block has a casting date on the right side that would clarify its manufacturing date — the alternator might suggest 1968 or later.  The engine number (VIN) might shed even more light on the block’s origins.

GLWS,

Steve

On October 24, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Conserv said:

This M10 is currently outfitted with an NK-style thermostat.  I’d bet the block has a casting date on the right side that would clarify its manufacturing date — the alternator might suggest 1968 or later.  The engine number (VIN) might shed even more light on the block’s origins.

GLWS,

Steve

image.jpeg

Great!  So the block was originally delivered with VIN 1675048, a U.S.-spec 1970-model 2002:

https://www.bmwclasicos.com/servicios.php

The engine block was cast May 5, 1970 (“5 E 70” in the oval frame on the right side of the block), so you can be certain the car was manufactured after May 5, 1970.  I’d suspect the NK-style thermostat indicates either (a.) the engine served a tour of duty in an NK, or (b.) an ‘02 owner needed a thermostat and didn’t much care if it was the right one!  (Could that choice of thermostat be related to the twin side drafts you mentioned earlier?)

The “2552” on the engine’s VIN boss simply signifies that the engine was originally earmarked for, and then installed in, a 2002.  See the accompanying window sticker’s Code No.

GLWS,

Steve

17C25A2C-E20A-45D9-85A7-2F77DC766C0B.jpeg

Edited by Conserv