• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radio/Speakers

FA2002

Hi, apologies this may well have been covered before but I can't find anything.

I am looking to update the radio in my '72 2002 Touring. The original radio is present and fully functional, and I intend to keep it that way to preserve originality. I am hopeless when it comes to electrical stuff, but I was wondering how easy it is to wire in an aux connection or something similar? The car is my daily driver (wouldn't have it any other way) which prompts this post - getting slightly bored of the same/minimal radio channels!!

Cheers in advance.

Lots of Blaupunkts have an 'auxiliary in' DIN plug on the rear. You can buy a ready made cable off eBay with a 3.5mm jack to plug into a device. 

Alternatively, how about leaving the Blaupunkt untouched and installing an entirely separate but hidden stereo with modern components (amp, speakers etc). Take a look at this article by @AceAndrew

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Even better, is buying a cheap bluetooth module. They exist not only for the automotive realm, but also for Marine applications (which is what I went with). Cost- 15 bucks and I have it linked to an amp in the trunk. No external plugs or wires, the only hint that I've got some bump is 2 tweeters on the dash, and 2 6.5 inch midbass drivers on the parcel shelf. 

1 hour ago, FA2002 said:

I was led to believe that the bluetooth modules sacrificed audio quality? Is that not the case?

Any chance you could provide a link to a suitable module? Thank you.

This is the Bluetooth receiver adapter I use in my cars.

https://www.amazon.com/iLive-IAB13B-Wireless-Bluetooth-Adapter/dp/B00AW0CSHQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508501831&sr=8-2&keywords=ilive+bluetooth+receiver+and+adapter

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

4 hours ago, FA2002 said:

I was led to believe that the bluetooth modules sacrificed audio quality? Is that not the case?

Any chance you could provide a link to a suitable module? Thank you.

If it does, you're definitely not going to notice it, I promise.

I've got bluetooth portable speakers that sound amazing, lots of amazing sounding factory sound systems pair with my phone and also sound great, my car's audio system sounds stellar. Then you start driving and it's gotta fight over all the other issues of the motor, wind, vibrations, etc. 

It's going to sound 100 bagillion times better than the factory single speaker if you put a quality set of components and an amp in, and I think just as good as a direct jack.  I think to start caring about audiophile sound quality with a 2002 you're looking at a few hundred pounds of sound deadening, fanatical use or rubber grommets to silence vibrating panels, hardware, window/door acutators etc., which means you probably started with the wrong car to get audiophileish over in the first place :) 

But... If you wanted the absolute best signal, perhaps a cord that you tuck up under the speaker in the center console when not in use is a way to go, then you pull it out when it's needed. 

This isn't the one I used.... but it looks similar. 

https://www.amazon.com/NVX-Universal-Waterproof-Bluetooth-VUBT2/dp/B015XLMA08/ref=sr_1_11?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1508510319&sr=1-11&keywords=bluetooth+receiver+RCA

Mine had direct RCA outputs, but I think I'll replace it soon.

What you want is one that pairs to your phone automatically when you get in, so you're not constantly having to pair it. 

Mine works great. The only reason I wanna ditch it is that it doesn't auto-pair, and when it does pair, it makes this loud annoying tone/beep every time. 

This guy is a bit more expensive, but it's branded by a well known company and based off the reviews, seems to auto-pair. 

https://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-MBT-RX-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B00MH5CFEU/ref=sr_1_12?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1508510319&sr=1-12&keywords=bluetooth+receiver+RCA

hardwired is the way to go!

Yes Bluetooth audio sacrifices some quality but what’s your source?  An iPhone with mp3’s?  If so you are starting with low quality audio to begin with and you won’t get the max quality no matter what your connection is. Add to that all the motor and wind noise of an 02 and any chances of pristine audiophile sound is hopeless. So I’m short you probably can’t hear any difference in Bluetooth audio interfaces for car applications. Maybe in a Range Rover that’s parked you could hear subtle differences if you have high resolution uncompressed audio files. 

I dont have bluetooth in my car for one reason. I need to plug my phone in anyway to charge it so I have a hard wired connector that charges phone and sends audio to the radio. Two solutions in one cable. 

Edited by jrhone
  • Like 1

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

My redneck half is taking over (the other half Italian)  I was toying with the idea of getting a bluetooth wireless speaker and secure it with velcro on the back parcel shelf or toss one in the back seat. Some of them have charges that last a long time. I know the sound would probably suck and maybe not be heard over the car noise. But some are as low as $30. At least It would let me listen to something with no cutting or drilling while I build up my car stereo fund. Plus if I go somewhere that needs music, they can come with me. 

Example: 

Back Seat: https://www.amazon.com/AOMAIS-Bluetooth-Speakers-Waterproof-Portable/dp/B071H8MJ99/ref=sr_1_26?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1508534628&sr=1-26&keywords=bluetooth+speakers

Parcel: https://www.amazon.com/OontZ-Angle-Bluetooth-Proprietary-SoundWorks/dp/B01LZV6TYQ/ref=sr_1_18?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1508534628&sr=1-18&keywords=bluetooth+speakers

If you guys care. I will let you know if I pull the trigger and let you know if it works out. 

Cheers! 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

• 2 years later...
On 10/20/2017 at 7:43 AM, 2002Scoob said:

This isn't the one I used.... but it looks similar. 

https://www.amazon.com/NVX-Universal-Waterproof-Bluetooth-VUBT2/dp/B015XLMA08/ref=sr_1_11?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1508510319&sr=1-11&keywords=bluetooth+receiver+RCA

Mine had direct RCA outputs, but I think I'll replace it soon.

What you want is one that pairs to your phone automatically when you get in, so you're not constantly having to pair it. 

Mine works great. The only reason I wanna ditch it is that it doesn't auto-pair, and when it does pair, it makes this loud annoying tone/beep every time. 

This guy is a bit more expensive, but it's branded by a well known company and based off the reviews, seems to auto-pair. 

https://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-MBT-RX-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B00MH5CFEU/ref=sr_1_12?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1508510319&sr=1-12&keywords=bluetooth+receiver+RCA

hardwired is the way to go!

Hi ! What kind of speaker system did you use ? Or what types of speakers did you end up putting in and/or suggest? 

On 10/8/2020 at 6:16 AM, ML234 said:

Hi ! What kind of speaker system did you use ? Or what types of speakers did you end up putting in and/or suggest? 

I've got all Focal Audio components in my car as a 2.1 system, driven by an IBUS20 compact sub/amp in the trunk. I split a component set to put the midbass drivers on the parcel shelf, and their tweeters on the dash.  

Sounds great, but wish it had more bass to overcome all the other fun noises happening in my car at speed. (or maybe some decent sound deadener, too).

Still running that annoying beepie Bluetooth module, but... don't fix what ain't broken. And I've got enough around that needs fixing :)

When I get around to throwing more money at audio, I've got a larger sub sitting in my closet that'll go in the trunk, and I'll upgrade to a 4 channel amp with Kooglewerks under-dash speaker pods and an extra set of speakers to fill 'em.