Ireland tri-y header?

323IJOE

Tri y may give a bit more mid range power depending on your engine and mods. I have a modded engine and was told I may see a few hp bump in the midrange. I plan on getting one to replace my IE Step header but mainly for he look because I am not sure I will notice a few HP. Call Jeff at Ireland and he can tell you the exact differences as well as if he thinks it would be beneficial to your motor. That’s what I did. 

Edited by jrhone

Kevin McDonald over at Macs Performance dyno’d the two. Said there wasnt any real power difference below 7500 RPM. Over 7500 the step style out performed (probably due to the larger size of the secondary tubes). The price increase for the tri-y is basically the complexity of the headers and the bends and what not. Also the alpina style tri-y back in the 70’s was originally made for street performance cars not race cars. So I guess it depends on what you wanna do. Step style can also be used on the street but the alpina style headers look oh so cool...

6 hours ago, 02tradition said:

Kevin McDonald over at Macs Performance dyno’d the two. Said there wasnt any real power difference below 7500 RPM. Over 7500 the step style out performed (probably due to the larger size of the secondary tubes).

Generalizations like this ignore the impact of induction type, camshaft grind, exhaust system and other characteristics of the engine build. Heck - application matters as well. I'm fairly-confident I could build an engine for which the Tri-Y would improve performance, and likewise could build one where the step header is the better answer. -KB

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kbmb02 said:

Generalizations like this ignore the impact of induction type, camshaft grind, exhaust system and other characteristics of the engine build. Heck - application matters as well. I'm fairly-confident I could build an engine for which the Tri-Y would improve performance, and likewise could build one where the step header is the better answer. -KB

This is true. I should ask kevin what he was running in his motor at the time. At the moment all I know is that it was a track dedicated motor. 

• 5 months later...

+1 for KB. Yes the sum of all the parts used together make HP / torque. Not necessarily bolting on individual products on a stock motor.
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk