• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbo engine build

I am planning to build a Turbo replica and I want to scope the project, starting with the engine build requirements and need technical specifications.

Does anyone have anything available that can be emailed, or alternatively are there websites from where information can be obtained or purchased?

Thanks in anticipation.

Mark

Ballarat, Australia      

How accurately do you want to reproduce a turbo engine? 

If you are planning on using the correct Kugelfisher injection pump start looking for one right now.  Everything else is fairly simple. 

The block, crank, rods, intake manifold, throttle body, front timing cover, and camshaft are exactly the same as later Tii engines (with the aluminum runners).

The cylinder head is stock E12 with some machine work done to it to open the combustion chambers to lower the compression ratio. The exhaust manifold studs are 10mm instead of the standard 8mm, this is easily done by machining. 46mm Intake valves are the same as 2002/ti/tii , exhaust valves are stock size 38mm but have more sodium in them, (BMW still sells them $$$$).

The exhaust manifolds are still available as are the studs (Inconel). 

The pistons are dished, I have a set of New Old Stock 1st oversize pistons I'm willing to sell.   

Flywheel and clutch are 228mm (back in the day there was a special pressure plate for the Turbo), most of us today use the e 30 M3 pressure plate and standard disc. 

The correct KKK turbocharger is almost impossible to find, if you do it is either completely worn out/cracked or New and they want $7000-10000 for it. 

The aluminum boost tube that has the blow off valve built into it will be something you will have to find as well as the "Altitude Compensator". 

The oil pan is standard 2002 with the addition of a fitting on the front for oil drain back from the turbo. 

Oil filter housing is unique, it has a thermostat and fitting for the oil cooler (you could use a S14 filter housing)  The oil lines are still available but I'm not sure if you can still get coolers. 

The radiator is wider (and available). 

You can modify a vacuum advance distributor to work. 

So much for the basics. 

If I was building a Turbo CLONE it would have a modern turbocharger and EFI

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Great - many thanks for your prompt and detailed response - much appreciated.

If proceeding down the modern route, what EFI system and turbo is recommended and what is availability like? The old engine from my race car (refer link below) is what I'll probably use for the Turbo project.

For interest - click on the following URL and scroll down to see images of my current car (at the famous Bathurst circuit in Australia). Thinking of selling it now to do the Turbo project - have always loved them!

http://www.htcav.com.au/2007-bathurst/

There are a number of stand alone EFI systems that will work very well.  MegaSquirt, AEM, MoTec, Electromotive, Haltec and many more these days. Checking out the tuning software is important to make sure you understand what it CAN and CAN'T do.    Then you need to decide what manifold you are going to use. If you want it to look kind of like a real 02 turbo then using a tii or E21 320i intake manifold will work.  Picking a turbo is your next step, what kind of power are you hoping to make? If all you want is in the stock range of 170hp/190 lb/ft of torque then you can get away with a nice small one that will spool up fast (stock turbos have EPIC TURBO LAG!!!)   There are a lot of people that have turbo'd M10 engines in 2002's over the years so finding information should not be hard. If your car is going to be Right Hand Drive you will need an exhaust manifold that moves the turbo above the manifold (stock turbos live right where the steering box is on a RHD car, this is the main reason BMW never built a RHD turbo)    

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Thanks for your follow-up response - again much appreciated.

I now have quite a lot to commence with and will keep in touch to let you know where I'm heading with the project.

By way of technical specifications, I have managed to find a technical supplement for the Turbo on www.bmw2002.co.uk 

Do you know of any other sources of good technical documentation for the entire car?

Thanks again.

other than a few specific differences the Turbo and Tii were almost exactly the same. Rear axles are 2mm larger, 4 speed transmission had a larger main shaft (gear ratios and synchronizers were the same) front brake rotors were ventilated and the calipers had spacers to accommodate the rotors. Rear drums were larger, 22mm rear wheel cylinders. Dash color, Aux instrument panel, seats, higher speed speedometer, 5.5" x13" wheels. Spoiler, air dam, fender flairs. 

As far as a single resource for all things "turbo" I don't think there is one.  Having restored a couple I have done a lot of research,  there are even differences depending on build dates (center or side exit exhaust, reverse script 2002 TURBO on the air dam for instance)   

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Good additional information - many thanks. I recently did a set of modified calipers for my existing 2002 so have a fair idea about that aspect of the project. Ideally I'd like to make it LHD, which are virtually impossible to find in Australia, so importing a LHD car from the USA looks like the route I may have to go. Also, thanks for the offer of the pistons. If they're still available at the time that I make the decision to proceed or not, we can discuss it. Shipping to Australia is normally a killer. I have a brother who lives in Pennsylvania and shipping to him is sometimes a good option. Will let you know how I go with my research and what decision I finally make about whether to proceed or not. 

On 10/18/2017 at 8:02 AM, Preyupy said:

The block, crank, rods, intake manifold, throttle body, front timing cover, and camshaft are exactly the same as later Tii engines (with the aluminum runners).

I think the throttle bodies are slightly different...the small port is moved..

Screenshot_20171019-120811.png

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

12 hours ago, 82 said:

Ho Preyupy, another question please. Would a LHD tii be an optimal choice for a conversion?

It would get you the boxed rear suspension arms and would be the correct front struts, you would also get the intake manifold and front timing cover you need.  However it would be a bit of a shame to chop up a real Tii if it is good condition.  It would probably be worth more as a restored Tii than a Turbo Clone. 

dlacy is correct the throttle bodies are different bit it is much easier to modify a Tii TB than it is to FIND a turbo TB.

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC