Style and Stance over Performance - with a Solution

73tiiDavidPA

I "been-a-contemplating" for awhile, and have decided to replace my 6 year old Sumitomo HTR T4 185/70R13s that adorn a set of factory original allow rims on my 1973 tii.  

The tires are actually fine mileage wise, perhaps getting a little old on the age spectrum.  It was more the revelation of driving the project 74 tii which came with 14 inch rims and which I put on new 185/65R14 rubber.  As far as vintage BMWs go, I've only ever really driven my '73tii with the 13 inch rims over the last 25 years.  Dang, I immediately thought about getting the '73tii some upgraded rims (larger) and rubber (better). 

But that does leave the original 13 inch allows not really being used, and I love their look.  So I decided to go boldly (albeit expensively) and turn back the hands of time and get some Michelin 165/80R13 XAS tires.  They are on order (along with tubes!) from Longstone in the UK.  They were @ $125 cheaper then Coker.  They can serve the car at shows, and when I want that original "look".  I thought about the Pirelli CN36s, but they would really be just a replacement for the Sumitomo's size wise, and not have the original skinny tire look.  

To this originality insanity, I would like to add that set of performance oriented wheel tire combination without screwing around with a stock suspension.  Any advice on wheel / tire combinations that are out there currently would be appreciated.  

I'll keep folks posted and put up some photos once I get them mounted.  

Edited by 73tiiDavidPA
typo on rim size

2 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

15" wheels are (usually) heavier, but you'll have more tire choices.

John,

I'm assuming that you are talking 205/50R15 rubber - correct?  From what I've calculated online it appears only 1.6 inches wider which I'm guessing won't cause issues with stock suspension /brakes.  

50 minutes ago, John_in_VA said:

I'm running 195/50ZR15s on my Panasports.

John, what width are your Panasports? On 7" et25 wheels, the 195/50r15 is a tight fit on the front. I had to roll the fenders and add camber plates to clear even before my car was very low. Before that, the 6.5 et33 14" weaves fit fine with a 195/60 r14, so I’m guessing a narrower 15" wheel might help avoid fender rolling. 

Since the OP mentioned "originality" and "shows", I figured it’s worth mentioning.

14 minutes ago, bento said:

John, what width are your Panasports? On 7" et25 wheels, the 195/50r15 is a tight fit on the front. I had to roll the fenders and add camber plates to clear even before my car was very low. Before that, the 6.5 et33 14" weaves fit fine with a 195/60 r14, so I’m guessing a narrower 15" wheel might help avoid fender rolling.

6x15" Panasport Racing wheels with ET29, on Korman sport springs/Bilsteins.

IMG_1382.JPG

Edited by John_in_VA
  • Like 1