• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carpet Choices...

Hodgepodge

Today's rabbit hole...

While I'm waiting for the crate of engine parts to arrive so I can clean up the engine compartment and go for a nice drive before I strip the car for paint, I've started to source other items that I think might need longer lead time.  In other words, everything!   Today I've been looking at carpet and from what I can tell, there are two "premium" vendors and a lot of, well, other vendors.  Once I decide to keep the stock '75 seats (I'm waffling on this because the latches on the existing seats need to be rebuilt), I'll get the seat covers from World Upholstery, but I like the Esty carpet material much better.   I also see a couple of companies selling molded carpet out there, for scary cheap prices, and I read a few not-fun stories here about molded carpet, so I'm going to stay away from them.  

Funny thing, the carpet in my '05 car must be the original molded stuff that came with it, but it is so thin and flimsy feeling.  I don't want anything like it at all.   I want something that looks and feels great!    

So....anyone have a good reason why I should choose something else over Esty?   

Thanks,

Scott      

Edited by Hodgepodge

Current: '74 2002,75 2002, 88 E28 M5(2), 92 E34 M5, 02 E39 M5, 01 E39T M5, 08 E93 328i, 08 E61 535i, 09 E93 335i, 09 E91 328ix, 12 E70 3.5i  '67 Alfa Romeo Spider; '69 Alfa Romeo Spider, '08 Dodge 1500 SLT. Past BMWs: '74 2002tii, '74 2002, '76 E12 530i, '78 E12 528i, '85 E28 535is, '93 E34 528iT, '94 E34 528i, '99 E36 328ic (2) '99 E39 528iT, '03 E46 330i convt., '07 E90 328i

I'm running tight on my rebuild money right now (rust eradication). Really leaning toward Esty, Mine is molded, Currently trying to convince Wifey that sectional carpeting is OK. (It is her car, and she is kind of a purist). 

Has anyone tried getting the molded variety and having it installed by an upholstery shop? Or has anyone just gone the upholstery shop route alone?  (I know it won't be cheap). 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

I've exchanged a couple of emails with Esty and she is sending me some samples.   Clearly, I found the right carpet shop.  :-)  

Current: '74 2002,75 2002, 88 E28 M5(2), 92 E34 M5, 02 E39 M5, 01 E39T M5, 08 E93 328i, 08 E61 535i, 09 E93 335i, 09 E91 328ix, 12 E70 3.5i  '67 Alfa Romeo Spider; '69 Alfa Romeo Spider, '08 Dodge 1500 SLT. Past BMWs: '74 2002tii, '74 2002, '76 E12 530i, '78 E12 528i, '85 E28 535is, '93 E34 528iT, '94 E34 528i, '99 E36 328ic (2) '99 E39 528iT, '03 E46 330i convt., '07 E90 328i

20 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

I'm running tight on my rebuild money right now (rust eradication). Really leaning toward Esty, Mine is molded, Currently trying to convince Wifey that sectional carpeting is OK. (It is her car, and she is kind of a purist). 

Has anyone tried getting the molded variety and having it installed by an upholstery shop? Or has anyone just gone the upholstery shop route alone?  (I know it won't be cheap). 

If you’re getting the molded variety, it seems that there would be very little need to use an upholstery shop.  Basically, you pull out the seats, pull out the old molded carpet, and drop in the new molded carpet.  I believe the primary issue with the molded carpets — if you have a square taillight and want to maintain the original “one-piece” appearance — is that none of the modern molded carpets look anything like the originals.  So you’ve got the “one-piece” look but the wrong weave. ?

Let me also add that, as with most of the interior materials, there was a steady decline in the quality of such materials from 1966 to 1976.  So, yes, the 1975-76 factory carpeting is tacky and cheap looking.  I wanted to replace the carpeting in my ‘76 from, oh, 1978 onward....

Fortunately, for the originality of my car, that is, I had more pressing needs and never got around to it.  Below is the original carpeting, pulled for cleaning and repairs.  The second photo shows the factory date stamp on the reverse. My April 23, 1976 car (VIN 2742541) has carpeting manufactured/completed April 12, 1976 (“12.4.76”).  Sorry, I don’t have a photo after the cleaning.  It simply looks....cleaner.  Still kinda’ tacky!  ?

P.S. I have an Esty carpet for my ‘73, where multi-piece was the original configuration.  Easy choice!

Regards,

Steve

9E273EA4-8952-407B-B875-2E8EBA410F49.jpeg

25E5AF19-0638-4AAE-878A-85783904414B.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I understand the quality of the molded carpet isn't going to be the best in the world. Plus the molded units are Cut-pile vs weave. The major complaint I have read is that installing the molded carpet is much like "wrestling an alligator" to keep it flat and placed nicely. Cutting the slots for the pedals is supposed to be a little difficult as well. So I thought possibly a pro would be better at it than me. 

I will run a few more pics of Esty's work past the wife. She is very attached to her 02 mostly for sentimental reasons... Car purchased by dad, passed to her brother now to her. (I am surprised that she is allowing the carpet to be removed...there may be a strand of her dad's DNA in there somewhere.) 

Yes Esty is awesome. No doubt about it. Extremely nice.  Got a few nice samples from her. Every customer has been extremely happy with her kit. 

Cheers! 

Edited by Vicleonardo1

as for originality,  a new moulded set vs. a cut and sewn set...the moulded set is only available in the cheezy looking cut pile carpet (my opinion) which will make it look like the carpet in a 2005 F-150 vs a much much better, easier to fit original looking cut & sewn set...

you should know that even all cut & sewn sets aren't equal...some of the carpets used by a lot of vendors is a cheap, lightweight version of the loop originally used...i sell the cheap stuff, as well, for those on a budget but try to make sure the buyers know what they are getting

from time to time, i've made sets in the cut pile carpet just because that's what the car's owner wanted or it was to match a carpet in another model BMW...i'd use it in my nissan hardbody but never in one of mu o2's

if you shop a moulded set, keep in mind, wherever you get it and whatever price the vendor sells for they are all made and shipped from a company in alabama...so go with the best price

Hey Vic,

Just read her a few of the stories posted here on 2002faq about molded carpets.   If she MUST have that thin, original molded pseudo-loop carpet, you can have my old original one.  It is in pretty good shape and I think it is the same color as yours(needs a heel pad, though).  Similar story, too.  Original owner father passed the car to his daughter.  I am the third owner after her.  It will be a few weeks before I get the carpet out though.  Happy to give it to you if you use it.     

Seriously, let me know if you want it.  I'll take some pictures if your are interested.   

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by Hodgepodge

Re: molded carpet sets - you could remove, clean and "dye" it with a spray product.  Or spray it in place.  You need to brush the carpet between coats to minimize the stiffness that will result.

https://www.semproducts.com/product/color-coattm-aerosols/aerosols#product-details

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

2 hours ago, Hodgepodge said:

Hey Vic,

Just read her a few of the stories posted here on 2002faq about molded carpets.   If she MUST have that thin, original molded pseudo-loop carpet, you can have my old original one.  It is in pretty good shape and I think it is the same color as yours(needs a heel pad, though).  Similar story, too.  Original owner father passed the car to his daughter.  I am the third owner after her.  It will be a few weeks before I get the carpet out though.  Happy to give it to you if you use it.     

Seriously, let me know if you want it.  I'll take some pictures if your are interested.   

Thanks,

Scott

Hey Scott,

That is very generous of you!   I need to retrieve my current carpet from my guy ( 50 miles away). If it isn't completely trashed, I will attempt to power wash it before the pacific northwest weather makes it impossible (to dry). 

I will definitely keep you in mind if my carpet explodes when I try to clean it.  

Cheers! and Thanks again! 

Vic

2 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

I will attempt to power wash it before the pacific northwest weather makes it impossible (to dry). 

according to the forecast, you'd better wash it tomorrow morning, so it can dry in the afternoon.

I believe it is going to rain (here) from Tuesday-April.

I pressure washed my carpet and a lot of dirt came out.

It still looks tired, but works fine for me.

They dry surprisingly quickly.

Edit-- come to think of it, I did follow the washing with compressed air, to blow a lot of the water out/through.

Edited by '76mintgrun'02

1 hour ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

according to the forecast, you'd better wash it tomorrow morning, so it can dry in the afternoon.

I believe it is going to rain (here) from Tuesday-April.

I pressure washed my carpet and a lot of dirt came out.

It still looks tired, but works fine for me.

They dry surprisingly quickly.

Love it!  From Tuesday-April.....:) 

Sad, but true.....

9 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Hey Scott,

That is very generous of you!   I need to retrieve my current carpet from my guy ( 50 miles away). If it isn't completely trashed, I will attempt to power wash it before the pacific northwest weather makes it impossible (to dry). 

I will definitely keep you in mind if my carpet explodes when I try to clean it.  

Cheers! and Thanks again! 

Vic

Vic,

I know that power washing is an effective cleaner for these types of carpeting but, having decided to stick with my ‘76’s original carpeting, I opted to have the carpet cleaned professionally by a local carpet seller and servicer that deals in oriental carpets — so that the cleaning process itself would not blow the 40-year-old carpet to pieces....?

They assured me their methods were far gentler than power washing!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)