Lower strut mounting points

I was under the car yesterday changing the oil and saw something that I've never noticed before that didn't make sense. Car is a 1975 non Tii.

Hope I have the terminology correct, but on the lower strut mounting points as it attaches to the backing/protection plate I'm seeing a threaded hole with no bolt or stud and no corresponding hole in the backing plate to take a bold anyway. Just curious why the empty threaded hole?  It's the same for both front wheels. 

I also noticed that I'm missing one of the lower exhaust manifold studs! I plan on replacing the original Thermo  reactor manifold for something different so I will have to deal with that later.

I need some reassurance, planning a 160 mile drive to visit my mom down I5 this morning and don't want to worry the wheels are going to fall off.

Eric

DSC_3973.JPG

DSC_3977.JPG

I was under the car yesterday changing the oil and saw something that I've never noticed before that didn't make sense. Car is a 1975 non Tii. Hope I have the terminology correct, but on the lower strut mounting points as it attaches to the backing/protection plate I'm seeing a threaded hole with no bolt or stud and no corresponding hole in the backing plate to take a bold anyway. Just curious why the empty threaded hole?  It's the same for both front wheels. 

I also noticed that I'm missing one of the lower exhaust manifold studs! I plan on replacing the original Thermo  reactor manifold for something different so I will have to deal with that later.

I need some reassurance, planning a 160 mile drive to visit my mom down I5 this morning and don't want to worry the wheels are going to fall off.

Eric

DSC_3973.thumb.JPG.98a0061fc4e666faf58f5ba3158e32df.JPG&key=844729f19ea5ea1f722967630d296e681ba151be608b730775c67651079e0e62

DSC_3977.thumb.JPG.83d1413f7abca2ba0af03ba436b495db.JPG&key=a160ae1241d2a5569d0774092c9ed02452d8a137462d113995901c9789cf75b2

each side is interchangeable. 2 big bolts hold the caliper and 2 little bolts hold the dust shield. So as long as the calipers still have 2 big bolts holding them on you should be fine.  

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

c371838bb61c698a1c533ac14a8fc30d.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bibm5 said:

The reason for the empty hole is because each side is interchangeable. Those are bolt holes for the caliper housing. The bolt above the empty hole holds the dust shield. I just rebuilt my brakes and it was the same as yours with the empty hole there.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks Bibm5, I didn't think of that. I'll relax on that front. Happy motoring.

Eric