• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car Thief!

LAtii

This is my official write up from the Youtube post following the public police reporting. 

March 16th 2016: Having been the subject of this carjacking, the finer details not mentioned in the release are per the video. My actions were that I ran after the perp upon entering my car. As he headed in reverse down the street, I jumped onto the hood. At that time we traveled down the street some ways until he pulled out a pistol. It was within inches of my face through the windshield. The perp was unable to control the vehicle in reverse, hold a gun and maintain his rapid speed. He then began to slow by use of the brakes. At that moment I slid off the hood onto my feet and rushed the open driver window. That's when the first shot was fired. It missed. The perp then continued in reverse another 100 feet crashing into a neighbors mail box and embankment. The car paused as he was selecting out of reverse and into drive. I attempted a second time to rush the car when he fired at me again. Missing another time. He then sped off.

But what do I know

Incredible stories, I glad to say I'm now to old for all that and I have that hagerty insurance card in my back pocket...thanks for sharing your stories they will keep us all thinking about the possibility...

• Like 1

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

1 hour ago, iinca said:

that took some 'sack...especially after the first shot and still go after him. What kind of car was that and did you ever find the car?

It's a BMW 325 otherwise I would not have posted it on a BMW forum :-) 

I did get the car back after it was picked up on the highway and a 100+mph chase ensued. However the perp ditched the car on a side street and got away. 

I now keep the clip loaded nowadays and have bats located in strategic spots. 

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

I love these cars and now it seems everyone is starting to love "(Y)OUR" cars also.  

So, now I try to only drive it to areas where I can see it.  

Yeah, it can get crazy protecting our cars, but unless it's needed I try to stay away from engaging these thiefs.

LAtii, I am so glad that you were able to save your car...AND that you only came out of it with a bump on the head.

Thanks for the well told story.

Light is seriously underrated.

Wonder if LAtii's car thief could drive stick...that's a pretty good deterrent right there for most young prospective car thieves...

Fortunately here in Dayton OH the target cars are either Honda Accords or any GM product (we used to have 6 GM plants here 'till GM did the death spiral back in 2009).

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

3 hours ago, mike said:

Wonder if LAtii's car thief could drive stick...that's a pretty good deterrent right there for most young prospective car thieves...

Fortunately here in Dayton OH the target cars are either Honda Accords or any GM product (we used to have 6 GM plants here 'till GM did the death spiral back in 2009).

mike

It didn't deter him from trying. He was a middle age guy, so I imagine he probably knew how. Although I bet he would have had trouble with my clutch.

Edited by LAtii

7 hours ago, conkitchen said:

This is my official write up from the Youtube post following the public police reporting. 

March 16th 2016: Having been the subject of this carjacking, the finer details not mentioned in the release are per the video. My actions were that I ran after the perp upon entering my car. As he headed in reverse down the street, I jumped onto the hood. At that time we traveled down the street some ways until he pulled out a pistol. It was within inches of my face through the windshield. The perp was unable to control the vehicle in reverse, hold a gun and maintain his rapid speed. He then began to slow by use of the brakes. At that moment I slid off the hood onto my feet and rushed the open driver window. That's when the first shot was fired. It missed. The perp then continued in reverse another 100 feet crashing into a neighbors mail box and embankment. The car paused as he was selecting out of reverse and into drive. I attempted a second time to rush the car when he fired at me again. Missing another time. He then sped off.

That is a much crazier story than mine. I'm glad you are okay and got your car back. wow!

I've got a few fail safes to my car, on top of the 123. 

My fuel pump is wired to a series of toggles, one of which I didn't have anything cool to hook up to it, so I wired it in-line with the toggle that turns on the fuel pump. In that-way, you've gotta figure out which 2 of 3 toggles turns on the pump, and if i've flipped the 3rd toggle, you gotta then know that as well. 

The last line of defense would be to give the fuel pump inertia cuttoff switch a firm thwack to dislodge the mechanism inside. Good luck figuring out where that one is, and how to reset it, thief :)

I'm on the m5 board also and last year someone on there had their m5 stolen from their garage. Apparently his car was unlocked in his garage and the thief broke into the garage and rolled it straight out and had it towed away. From that point on I started locking my car when garaged. I also put zip ties on the release levers of the garage door openers. If not your door can be easily opened with a hanger (Google it). This is one of the down falls of having cars that are worth as much (or more) in parts as they are running and driving.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Agree 100% on adding a guard for the release lever. Most garage door openers can have their release (lose power- pull the cord) lever very close to the top of the door. I replaced my opener with a different type that has the release farther inward and not as easily accessible from the outside.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"