• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car Thief!

LAtii

sorry I could quite make out a modern BMW the way that video flashed so quick..

That's so scary having your car towed from your garage..what's next? Maybe I'll get a city style 'boot' for the wheels

I imagine LA is like a shopping mall for car thiefs. Same with SF. So many folks have to park on the street!! YIKES!!

I'd have a tough time sleeping if mine was parked 'on display' outside

Take your camera....take a picture of the guy....call 911....scream at the guy.   To physically engage when he could have had a gun or knife or a confrontation that could have ended with one of you dead....sorry to say....that was  immature behavior.

In a litigious society like ours even when you are in the right....you loose.  There is nothing to proud about in this story.

My 2 cents....

Abe

Agreed with above....stupid as hell move to confront a thief. You have insurance on your car Id assume? If so---worry about it later. Imagine being in a wheelchair, incapacitated in some way (blind in an eye, walking with a limp, some disability ) because you thought you were bad ass and you took on the thief!? What the!!?!

Folks are playing with fire here.

Live to drive another day I would say.

you guys are right...crazy to go after the thief. but...

I'm sure the heat of the moment took over that logical part of his brain

I know exactly that feeling of 'no way your taking my sh*t'! I once caught a guy red handed

in my garage one afternoon rummaging through my toolbox. Middle of the day!! Smaller latino guy just la dee dah I think I need some new tools!!

I screamed at him and instead of calling the cops I foolishly went straight after him. Just stupid blind RAGE. No thinking at all. My body just took off without me and my common sense!

we ended up in a deadlocked position me grabbing his neck and him my body. Eye to eye.. I took me a moment but I let him go and he ran. Damn I felt like a lunatic right after. What if he had a gun or knife?....whew. What the hell was I doin' lol.

Awwww the luxury of hindsight. Certainly easy to critic anything when the incident is done and over....I'm glad all of the incidents turned out ok....Intruders should not be in your car, house, or property.....What you choose to do about it has one million answers....

ira

2 hours ago, ZMO said:

Agreed with above....stupid as hell move to confront a thief. You have insurance on your car Id assume? If so---worry about it later. Imagine being in a wheelchair, incapacitated in some way (blind in an eye, walking with a limp, some disability ) because you thought you were bad ass and you took on the thief!? What the!!?!

Folks are playing with fire here.

Live to drive another day I would say.

And so you will likely have your possessions taken by force since you are easy with their departure. That is the very rational these perps know and operate by. Threaten someone (usually not from their own neighborhood) and they will just give you the car. Is it worth dying for? No. I don't believe most perps want to be hunted down for attempted/murder either. The threat is as severe as you want it to be.  However, until I'm allowed to open carry or get a conceal carry permit in Oakland, what's a person to do? Yelling and flailing your arms just don't change one's determination. Insurance (as well as taxes which pay for police) is already very expensive here and everyone I know has personally experienced some sort of theft. When the rules of decent society don't apply for those committing these crimes, new ones must be derived from the situation at hand. Or just sit back and be a victim.  

BTW, the police gave chase but then backed-off letting the perp go.  They capitulated, sending yet another message that if you drive very fast the cops will back off.  Maybe it was because I did not get hit by the bullets. 

But what do I know, maybe next time. 

But what do I know

What a story! I'm so glad you are OK.

A few thoughts regarding comments:

1.  It was crazy to engage the perp that way, but I would have done exactly the same thing.  Nothing makes me madder than being ripped off.  Rage makes one crazy.

2.  I no longer carry, because, as they say, "the finger finds the trigger." Rage makes one crazy, and in the heat of the moment, the gun might look like the solution.  It almost never is. 

3.  In my state (Washington), you cannot use deadly force to prevent property theft.

4.  Few things will screw up your life worse than shooting someone, justified or not.  As you stand over the body of the perp with your gun smoking, the cops will not show up, clap you on the back, and say "Good job!"  They'll arrest you for murder and let you try to prove it was justified.  Count on many, many thousands in legal fees, horrible stress on you and your family, and at least a year out of your life spent dealing wth the aftermath.

5.  I carry pepper spray on occasion, and have it in my car at all times.  A much better solution, imo.

6.  If you absolutely must shoot someone, make good and sure you kill them.

No car is worth the hassle of killing someone, even if they deserve it.

Terry    

• Like 1

On 10/13/2017 at 4:05 PM, LAtii said:

Description:VENT WINDOW CLEAR RIGHT
Part number: 51321804920

I have a very nice vent window I will donate for free I'm off to Hawaii today but will be back the 1st week in November, its in Santa Fe Springs if you need it call & come on over to  our shop.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Confront? Concealed carry? Perps? Engage? Likely to have my possessions taken by force? Carjacked?

Where do you people live? If this is the reality of your life, for the love of God, move. The USA is full of more places where you don't have to worry about this kind of stuff and it's certainly not worth drawing a line in the sand. This isn't the wild west anymore.

I've been in and around NYC for over six decades and never, not once, heard or seen a gun. Geez.

• Haha 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

3 minutes ago, NYNick said:

Confront? Concealed carry? Perps? Engage? Likely to have my possessions taken by force? Carjacked?

Where do you people live? If this is the reality of your life, for the love of God, move. The USA is full of more places where you don't have to worry about this kind of stuff and it's certainly not worth drawing a line in the sand. This isn't the wild west anymore.

I've been in and around NYC for over six decades and never, not once, heard or seen a gun. Geez.

I don't even have locks on my doors lol

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

I live in a pretty nice area about an hr north of Atlanta. Anyone can steal from me, destroy my property, yell in my face etc... But I'm not about to cower in fear in a corner while some lunatic walks around at an event or school or movie theater that I'm at with a gun just shooting people like fish in a barrel...
I will never be a victim that just waits for his turn and neither will my wife and kids.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk