• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 only colors?

mo02

Yes that is the car I bought (for much less than list  price I feel compelled to point out). 

To clarify, I’m not saying the car IS Bristol, I’m saying WAS Bristol according to BMW.  I think now it’s the color of old chalk. I actually haven’t seen it in person yet. 

I am guessing there was a color change at some point and someone swapped in this interior. I just can’t beleive anyone would ever choose this interior with Bristol

I bought iit mostly for the interior, dash, trim, glass etc. It has a dual draft Weber engine that ‘runs’. Given that it’s not a tii or anything special, hard to justify body repair. 

1 hour ago, mccusername said:

Yes that is the car I bought (for much less than list  price I feel compelled to point out). 

To clarify, I’m not saying the car IS Bristol, I’m saying WAS Bristol according to BMW.  I think now it’s the color of old chalk. I actually haven’t seen it in person yet. 

I am guessing there was a color change at some point and someone swapped in this interior. I just can’t beleive anyone would ever choose this interior with Bristol. 

I bought iit mostly for the interior, dash, trim, glass etc. It has a dual draft Weber engine that ‘runs’. Given that it’s not a tii or anything special, hard to justify body repair. 

If your car looks like the pictures Les posted, it could indeed be Nevada exterior color.  Close to my 69.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

15 hours ago, mccusername said:

I am guessing there was a color change at some point and someone swapped in this interior. I just can’t beleive anyone would ever choose this interior with Bristol....

Agreed, Michael. Could be a color change.

Recall also that for U.S.-imported ‘02’s, you did not actually get to “order” your car. Hoffman Motors saved you the trouble by ordering for you! ? You bought what was available, which was not necessarily what you wanted.

The three notable exceptions were (a.) cars under BMW’s “European Delivery program” — note that this is BMW’s program, with a capital “E” and a capital “D”, (b.) cars under special military importers’ “European delivery plans” — small “d”, these importers delivered virtually every make of non-U.S. car to U.S. military and certain U.S. governmental employees stationed in Europe, and (c.) special orders for “friends” of Hoffman, e.g., this forum’s Maurice. But I’d wager the sum of these three exceptions was a tiny percent of U.S.-imported ‘02’s.

I’d recommend you wait until you see the car to make judgements about its viability: there are not lots of 1969 ‘02’s out there!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 minutes ago, Conserv said:

there are not lots of 1969 ‘02’s out there!

Regards,

Steve

In my review of many old Roundel classifieds, it indeed is rare to find many 69's for sale.  I just received a batch of 80's and 90's magazines (courtesy of John McWilliams) and am going thru them now.  These magazines typically had a ton of 74-76 2002's for sale.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Gentle men just to throw a monkey wrench into this thread, what is commonly known as UPS brown for early interior colors was also an exterior color, and i mean exact match.  Time frame and color code i had never written down but had this brown on an march/april 67  1600 6-volt on the roof.   Saw an 1970 base 2000 was what i call the USA  model as at had automatic trans with reflectors at all 4 corners and the USA licence plate lights, not the early euro ones up in the trim. Made the car look very rich and almost had a deep look to the color.   Have also seen 77-78 320 I 's brand new on new car trailers in this unknown color.          Back to the 67 1600 in 1984 i bought the car out of a barn and she was beat up then and never touched,   base color was Sahara and that is all the paint tag said, yet the roof was UPS brown along with A and C pillars, also in both front and rear rain gutters under hood and trunk were finished in that color and looked very original. Recall lifting windshield gasket and it was the UPS underneath.    The brown is not metalic.   If anyone is good at cleaning up an old photo i can text you an photo and maybe you can then post it in this thread,  by all means leave an p.m.    thanks Jon

9 hours ago, mccusername said:

I am guessing there was a color change at some point and someone swapped in this interior. I just can’t beleive anyone would ever choose this interior with Bristol. 

Ah ha, as you haven't seen it yet, I wonder if the VIN the Seller put up was correct. Their pic (below) makes it difficult to read. Whilst I can see someone painting the car, the interior, seats & carpet, appear original and not what would be matched to Bristol. A look at the fender VIN stamp might hold a clue.

1246960526_16674582zm.thumb.jpg.3dc134a6e0ec00ce3050bcf439b87fbb.jpg

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

5 hours ago, 02Les said:

Ah ha, as you haven't seen it yet, I wonder if the VIN the Seller put up was correct. Their pic (below) makes it difficult to read. Whilst I can see someone painting the car, the interior, seats & carpet, appear original and not what would be matched to Bristol. A look at the fender VIN stamp might hold a clue.

A mystery to solve! I like this theory. When I was first looking at the car I definitely noticed the hard to read sticker. It sort of looks scratched out on purpose, though for what reason I can't imagine.

I won't have hands on the car for a while but I will look and see if I have pics of the VIN stamp.

12 hours ago, Conserv said:

I’d recommend you wait until you see the car to make judgements about its viability: there are not lots of 1969 ‘02’s out there!

The car is temporarily in the hands of a very well known shop so I think the judgment is in. It's savable, and 'worth' saving morally, but financially a very hard case to make. I don't do body work myself so the bill would be huge. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1451034 said:

Gentle men just to throw a monkey wrench into this thread, what is commonly known as UPS brown for early interior colors was also an exterior color, and i mean exact match.  Time frame and color code i had never written down but had this brown on an march/april 67  1600 6-volt on the roof.   Saw an 1970 base 2000 was what i call the USA  model as at had automatic trans with reflectors at all 4 corners and the USA licence plate lights, not the early euro ones up in the trim. Made the car look very rich and almost had a deep look to the color.   Have also seen 77-78 320 I 's brand new on new car trailers in this unknown color.          Back to the 67 1600 in 1984 i bought the car out of a barn and she was beat up then and never touched,   base color was Sahara and that is all the paint tag said, yet the roof was UPS brown along with A and C pillars, also in both front and rear rain gutters under hood and trunk were finished in that color and looked very original. Recall lifting windshield gasket and it was the UPS underneath.    The brown is not metalic.   If anyone is good at cleaning up an old photo i can text you an photo and maybe you can then post it in this thread,  by all means leave an p.m.    thanks Jon

I dunno, Jon....

Two-tone paint jobs weren’t even a factory option on ‘02’s, including the 1600-2. Higher-end cars, such as the more expensive Mercedes-Benz cars, did offer two-tone paint jobs and they were particularly popular in Europe. I’m inclined to believe your 1600-2 might have been re-painted between 1967 and 1984. I had my Sahara 1967 1600-2 re-painted in 1975. I stripped off all the trim and lights; it looked great afterward.

I’m guessing the color looked like Sepiabraun, a 1978-83 BMW color, as attached:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-bmw-320i/

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

7 minutes ago, mccusername said:

Double checked, and yes the VIN is correct, and I sent the correct VIN to the archives. This car was originally Bristol. 

681425316_6902vin.thumb.jpg.71f12bf0ab41941f116c85d4e154199e.jpg

69 02 vin.jpg

What’s going on with the “5”? It appears to be stamped onto a tiny piece of metal welded onto the inner fender.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Back in 1978, the 1968 2002 that I bought off of my brother (which was over painted in white) was originally Manilla with a chocolate brown interior, no headrests or holes for same.   Sisal carpeting.  Hydraulic clutch.  My brother had gone through over a dozen '02's in the day.  The '68 was the lightest and best handling of the bunch.  Very toss-able as it was essentially a 1600 with a large motor.  The chrome belt line had little black divots fore and aft.

Edited by David Layton

4 hours ago, mccusername said:

Double checked, and yes the VIN is correct, and I sent the correct VIN to the archives. This car was originally Bristol. 

681425316_6902vin.thumb.jpg.71f12bf0ab41941f116c85d4e154199e.jpg

Strange looking 5 as Steve noted. So I guess we have to assume one could have a brown interior with Bristol.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2 hours ago, 02Les said:

Strange looking 5 as Steve noted. So I guess we have to assume one could have a brown interior with Bristol.

I still believe in at least the possibility of an interior swap.... 

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I still believe in at least the possibility of an interior swap.... 

Me too. I mean, Bristol over saddle is a really, really bad combo. Maybe there was an exterior color change first.

Here are a couple of more pictures of the car outside on a different day in case anybody wants to play spot the Bristol. I am told it looks less green in real life. Does look Nevada-ish to me. And rust colored.

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG