• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few Continued Starting Problems, and a New One as well. Also...

2002Scoob

11 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:
16 hours ago, 2002Scoob said:

That sounds like a compression stroke. Are you sure all the spark plugs are tight? It really sounds like compression from the engine leaking.

Good mornin! Just got back from probably one of the best drives I've had in Brunhilde yet. Still have what I'm getting more positive is a starter issue. 

I investigated your suggestion this morning, Steven. All 4 plugs are tight. The previous owner had cross-threaded one of the bores when i bought the car, so when the head was rebuild the first time, that had to be cleaned up, tapped, and Helicoiled. My first thought was that that repair could have failed and the coil backed out (or in...) But it appears to be fine.

If you remove one plug, the zip goes from a regular Zip Zip Zip Zip to a Zip----Zip Zip Zip---Zip Zip Zip. If you pull all of them, it spins fast and smooth absent of the which leads me to believe this new sound is happening under load on the starter. Which also makes your assumption partially valid because that would be tied to the compression stroke. 

Sorry for the terrible video, I have no way to mount my iPhone, so I just put it behind the fuses by the battery, and the lights in my Garage turned off part way. Sound is the most important thing thou. 

I know she hiccuped a bit on the first crank, but there were 2-3 efforts before I had the wits together to try and film it. 100% cold, this is semi-typical of cold starts if you imagine 2-3 cranking efforts prior to starting the video. 

Start saving for an E30 M3 starter?

After she fired up I went for a 1.5 hour drive, focusing on strong pulls up to 5.5-6k and she performed wonderfully other than being a tad rich everywhere. Pretty much just a loop out and back. If the starter is on the edge of failing, I don't want to turn it off somewhere where it can't sit for a bit till I fix it.

I promise to get a driving video of her soon, I need a solid mounting option for the GoPro. 

Small update- 

I got my new plugs yesterday and put em' in and planned to drive to work this morning. 

When I went to start her, she began relatively quietly cranking, then I assume as cylinder pressure/load increased the zip zip zip noise came back. After 2-3 of the usual cranking efforts the ZIP ZIP ZIP turned more into a louder, slower Zip.   zip.       zip. 

Battery should be plenty fine and have a good solid charge on it. I'm thinking that a fresh motor with tempermental italian carburetors is too much for the 40+year old stock starter and it just can't spin fast enough to crank over, so I hoped onto my usual transportation of 2 wheels and a human motor to the local Bosch service center (they're as common here as Pep-Boys used to be). After much debate and deliberation with the tech, I finally conviced them that I know what I'm talking about, and that even though the starter I am requesting to order is not an original bmw 2002 starter, it WILL work for my purposes. (this took about 45 min. mind you)

Oh Germany. At first they wouldn't even sell me the starter unless I provided paperwork for the vehicle it would be matched to... After much insisting that my bmw 1974 bmw 2002 paper work would be useless for referencing an E30 starter, they then had a difficult time wrapping their head around why I would want to put something un-original into my car.... After I finally convinced them that I KNOW the starter I want is not original equipment, and I KNOW that my 2002 is not an E30.... I finally convinced them that I accept full responsibility if it doesn't work. 

Sometimes, Germany. Sometimes. 

So what I'll be ending up with is the SR 441X. The 1.7kw starter. I feel that should be more than ample oomf to wake up my sometimes stubborn old girl. 

Here's to hoping!!!

Edited by 2002Scoob

It turns out that Bosch Germany either isn’t producing its own SR441X starters, and is sourcing them from a company called ‘Unipoint’

Still seems to be the legit starter thou. Interface and specs align.

d3dd2cb6e1422e776df92ff46fbcd844.jpg
842508c9e665ff53e7958c4b890d88df.jpg
a7d709458561e1c3e30fa609a9c32b61.jpg

It also looks like it can facilitate spade terminals too for the solenoid trigger, not just ring terminals.
509702f3e5afa09aff7fbbd761affc43.jpgfeb8c506b6c5eab0f9f1543da0a98acd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi,

My starting procedure with Dual dcoe is completely different both cold and hot. Advance seems too far too early. When I had my curve that far advanced, I could not pass even the simplest emissions test, the CH values were off the scale. Don't think the temporary cut of power to the pump does anything, the bowl is full when you start cranking.

I always fill the bowl, pump twice to the floor and then crank without touching the pedal until she springs to life. Usually in 2-3 turns. When hot, I floor and hold while cranking until she springs to life, letting go gradually. Has worked like a charm on all multi-carb cars I have had. All had webers, all had disabled choke cables. I even installed the blank off kit now from Timm's since the choke is so pointless.

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight