Sunroof Cable Guide

Chimi562

So I finally had a chance to work on my sun roof I discovered that my driver side cable is broken from the plastic part. The passenger side seems okay but I want to change it as well. I looked up the prices on the cables, and I could find the driver side for around $100 or so but the passenger right side is at whopping $350! Why is the price between driver side and passenger side?? Anyone know how to modify the cable guides from a volvo to work on our cars?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I got hit by sticker shock a few weeks ago...three of my four '76's are sunroof cars.  Malaga needs repair, and the others they work ok, but...well can't hurt to have a spare set of cables. I've always balked at them being $100+ each.  I got the notion to finally dig into the Malaga sunroof a couple of weeks ago and all my usual parts sources were selling them for like $340 EACH!  Holy Eff!  Stupid money!  

A big change from when I shopped them at Bay Area Brisbane 02 Fest in May.  What drove that market I'd like to know.  I did some searching, and PartBull still has them for the old price.  For now. I'd say jump on them ASAP.  I ordered 2 sets.  Arrived last week without a hitch.  

https://partbull.com/auto-part/sunroof-cable-genuine-4

they have both L and R for roughly the same price. Good luck. 

Edited by swizman
Spelling error
  • Like 1

Be careful what you buy. I purchased a used set of cables meant for a Volvo and they didn't fit correctly.  The length of the sliding "head" was longer than my factory plastic BMW pieces so the roof wouldn't close properly (even after multiple adjustments).  I have details in my project blog (archive section).

• Like 1

That's good to know, Jim.  The way people are talking in the links John posted, those 240 cables are touted as the solution to all 2002 sunroof problems.  After your tip, I'll be sticking to the OEM ones.  If they last another 30 years, they will probably outlast me anyway.  If gasoline powered cars will even be allowed on the roads in 2047....<_<

• 2 weeks later...