Roundie back end

1602GR

Greeting to all,

I m currently in the stage of finishing metal work (bondo time!)and just applied primer to the back end just to see general shape imperfections etc. It used to be in a very bad state and we brought it back to shape as much as possible.

Now i am checking against the chrome trim that goes between the back lights to see fitment and I really thing it doesn't look right.

If we press the corners quite hard it is better but still leaves a small gap and there is also a gap in the middle. 

I don't have any other car for reference so can anyone tell me if you apply pressure when you fit the chrome trim or should it just fit without gaps and without applying pressure?

I am also worried that maybe the chrome trim is not straight since I bought it used...

I m attaching some photos and your input will be much appreciated!

IMG_20171012_105422.jpg

IMG_20171012_105428.jpg

IMG_20171012_105431.jpg

IMG_20171012_105442.jpg

I am not sure if this will help you out but this car was just posted on BaT, check out the gallery pics

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-2002-13/?utm_source=dailymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2017-10-12

(NM/NA) but it shows in fairly good detail the fitment for the moulding and rear lights. I am sure others will provide greater detail and or advice.

hth

I took a long straightedge to the rear body panel of my '73--whose rear panel has never been hit or repaired and discovered the panel itself is curved where the aluminum  between-the-taillights trim is located.  The high spot is directly beneath the trunk release button, and by the time the straightedge is at the tail lights, there's nearly 3/4" (20mm or so) of curve visible.  

I also checked the two spare trim pieces I have, and both are bowed about 5/8"  (14mm or so)--they're not straight across. So from your pictures it appears that the body panel is correct, and someone has straightened the trim piece in the mistaken belief it should be flat.  

I'll bet ithat if you gradually tightened the mounting bolts on the trim, it's flexible enough so you could force it into the proper curve.

cheers

mike

• Like 1

Welcome to the bodywork hell that is the roundie tail panel.

I detest working on the things.  No, that's not true- I dislike it, and I HATE that it never looks as

good as I'd like.  There are a lot of trim pieces to match, there are 'flat' surfaces that are curved,

there are compound curves, and then there's the fiasco that's the bumper mounting points.

The bump- out area above the bumper prevents you from stretching and shrinking like you'd like to,

and yet it has straight lines you have to match.  The curves around the taillights cross 2 panels.

The latch support blocks a good chunk of the thing, the welded seams can stretch and spread if you're not careful,

and the lip needs to be able to seal to the trunk lid.

Oh, did you know, there's a crease in it?  And the bumps for the license plate holders have 2 extra planes?

Ah, it finally looks pretty good from the outside... oh my GAWD, look at the inside of it! 

And don't forget the 'valence' under the bumper- it's totally exposed, so make it look good!

To my eye you have too much bulge as the 'flat' curved panel approaches the light.  But hell,

looking at pictures on the internet, who knows?

I do know that bending that c-channel shaped aluminum trim's usually not very successful. 

Because I've tried, when I was frustrated with everything else...

t

9 hours ago, TobyB said:

Welcome to the bodywork hell that is the roundie tail panel.

I detest working on the things.  No, that's not true- I dislike it, and I HATE that it never looks as

good as I'd like.  There are a lot of trim pieces to match, there are 'flat' surfaces that are curved,

there are compound curves, and then there's the fiasco that's the bumper mounting points.

The bump- out area above the bumper prevents you from stretching and shrinking like you'd like to,

and yet it has straight lines you have to match.  The curves around the taillights cross 2 panels.

The latch support blocks a good chunk of the thing, the welded seams can stretch and spread if you're not careful,

and the lip needs to be able to seal to the trunk lid.

Oh, did you know, there's a crease in it?  And the bumps for the license plate holders have 2 extra planes?

Ah, it finally looks pretty good from the outside... oh my GAWD, look at the inside of it! 

And don't forget the 'valence' under the bumper- it's totally exposed, so make it look good!

To my eye you have too much bulge as the 'flat' curved panel approaches the light.  But hell,

looking at pictures on the internet, who knows?

I do know that bending that c-channel shaped aluminum trim's usually not very successful. 

Because I've tried, when I was frustrated with everything else...

t

So F****G True :) And so refreshing to know that I am not the only one struggling with this :) Thanks!

17 hours ago, mike said:

I took a long straightedge to the rear body panel of my '73--whose rear panel has never been hit or repaired and discovered the panel itself is curved where the aluminum  between-the-taillights trim is located.  The high spot is directly beneath the trunk release button, and by the time the straightedge is at the tail lights, there's nearly 3/4" (20mm or so) of curve visible.  

I also checked the two spare trim pieces I have, and both are bowed about 5/8"  (14mm or so)--they're not straight across. So from your pictures it appears that the body panel is correct, and someone has straightened the trim piece in the mistaken belief it should be flat.  

I'll bet ithat if you gradually tightened the mounting bolts on the trim, it's flexible enough so you could force it into the proper curve.

cheers

mike

Thanks for the reply!

Judging from your description and the photos on other replies I think my problem is a combination of wrongly bent trim piece and a bit of a wrongly shaped panel... At this point if I would try to tighten the mounting bolts (which by the way I don't have) I think they would eventually brake...

I think more beating is required :)