• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 BMW 2002Tii for sale-$8,000 OBO

1974BMW2002Tii

Price: $8000

Description:

Hi folks,

I am selling a 1974 BMW 2002Tii that with a little tlc could be a really great investment. I think in 5 years these tiis will be worth a lot of money. Do not hesitate to ask or email about this vehicle.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1974-BMW-2002-Tii-/272888458477?hash=item3f896b6ced%3Ag%3ANWcAAOSw1MBZ2WRI&_trkparms=pageci%3A88268827-b1db-11e7-ad14-74dbd1802b69%7Cparentrq%3A216b6efd15f0aa19efaff8f2fffc32c5%7Ciid%3A12

Edited by 1974BMW2002Tii

17 hours ago, UFoh said:

Can someone smarter than me tell me if the rust is DIY-able? I'm really interested in this car

All rust is theoretically DIY-able if you have patience and welding skills, or a willingness to develop welding skills. This car looks pretty darned rusty to me, from the roof down.  The right front frame rail, shown here, is scary.  And left front frame rails are generally — not always — worse than right front rails because brake fluid strips the paint from the left rails.  It might be salvageable but it would certainly be an ambitious undertaking.

As the seller says, Golf is a rare and desirable color.  And the interior looks quite good.  But you need to examine the entire body in person to evaluate the rust.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I agree with Conserv...you could pretty much do anything yourself, even welding. But, this is not the car to learn and develop your welding skills. From May 2017 to September 2017 1974 BMW 2002Tii Concourse Value went from $47,500 to $50,000...and it's going up by the looks of it("Hagerty"). Guys, just go on Craigslist and search for BMW 2002 in your area and further and you will see how many show up? Now try and search for a BMW 2002Tii and than you will know how rare these cars have become, hence the reason for the price jump. I know I will regret selling this car down the road...but I just do not have the $8000 to spend to fix the body. As I said $10,000 Or Best Offer...The max I have gotten was $6000 on ebay...for what I paid for this car, towing, and with my investment in getting it to run I would be losing money. So, please do the research and offer something tangible... 2002Tiis in the USA from Aug-1971 to Dec-74 only 7,449 have been produced! I wonder how many are on the road today?

By the pics, this tii was obviously driven a lot during DC winter. What the pics don't show is under the car or the rear shock towers. If you see rust, there is a lot more that you can't see. Question, why does this tii have a salvage title? The front nose panel has been replaced (has a snorkel) so maybe it was involved in a collision. This tii needs a lot of TLC and someone with deep pockets.   This tii is not for the faint of heart, it's a major project car.

G-Man

• Like 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

4 hours ago, 1974BMW2002Tii said:

Salvage title is because it is not road worthy I've been told. Once the frame and the body is fixed, the car has to be inspected by a licensed inspector and then the clean title can be obtained. I am not sure about the s norkel...this tii bellow has it. I have attached more pics bellow...

T2eC16hzQE9s3suFrkBR-8p1RI_4.jpg

Let me get this straight, it has a salvage title because it flunked VA state inspection due to not be roadworthy due to the rust damage.  When the tii rust damage is fixed, take the car back to a VA vehicle inspection shop and if it's certified road worthy, the state of VA will give you a clean title?  Great concept if you live in VA. If you live out of state, the salvage title will pass on to the new state. The out of state buyer can't register it because if they do, they'll then have a salvage title for the car which will hurt the value of the car. Correct me if I'm wrong but it would seem that the primary option for the out of state buyer is to not register it in their state but to repair the rust damage, then bring it back to VA for a new VA state inspection in order to get a clean VA title which they can transfer to out of state?  Need some comments from the peanut gallery.

• Like 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

my condolences on the ebay auction. You know it is a SQUARE TAIL tii and for it to go for 50 smackaroonies' it's will have to be a full blown restoration

..and I can safely say it will take more than your notion of

8 grand in paint/body to get it to this Concourse you speak of. More like 15 big ones imho.

It's a nice color...Chamonix my latest favorite...BUT that Salvage title is going to doom it in most states. CA for instance a Salvage Title is really bad...Like 30% or so value bad

I'd take the 6 large ones and RUN Far and Fast..

Edited by iinca
  • Like 1

iinca where did you get the 30% loss? When you restore 40+ year old vehicle from ground up...does it matter what kind of title it has? I always wanted a 74 square light tii....my father had one in the old country and I told myself when I have the money I will buy one. This car that I purchased was tr one I was willing to invest into it and keep it for my boys to have one day. I was already approved for the personal loan to get it restored. But, something came up last week...my grant is not getting extended. I am a senior project scientist at VMASC-ODU. So I might be out of work for little bit soon. I have a 2010 Tundra that I am selling as well...I wish I was not in this situation but this is life I guess? I am curious how many square tail tiis are out there...not many because the supply is low and demand is high. Thanks for your insight though, iinca. :)

The word 'salvage' scares alot of folks since the lemon laws came into effect. CA has serious lemon laws. It used to be easy to get a salvaged bmw at auction and nobody cared.The good ol' days! @great car for little $$. It still blows my mind how easily insurance companies 'total' a car

Now with the average car if you have a salvaged title you can't get anywhere near market value. But you know that already...Classic cars the salvage title might not matter as much....or maybe it does...

As far as square tail tii's go you can find them pretty easy for a lot less dough than roundies. When they first came out I was appalled. What have they done to this perfect car was my thought...The shop I worked at hated them and still do to this day. This summer I told them I was getting back into the  02 game and I had a squaretail in mind. My old boss said no you don't lol. He talked me out of it in a matter of seconds. He's a total roundie snob for sure. The worst..

I personally think they're great cars. This site opened my mind to that

I personally would love to have a beater square tail tii to thrash around as a daily. Maybe less likely to get stolen...

good luck with the sale @take the $$ and run

Edited by iinca