• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel in 380/390mm ?

deschodt

A few years back I got rid of my cracked stock steering wheel and put in a dished momo wheel in 350mm. Felt great driving postion wise,  but after a while the increased steering effort and the extra distance to the turn signals (I know, I use them still, I'm a dinosaur) made it annoying. I returned to the old cracked stock wheel but after a year it's bothering me again, looks bad, super hot in summer...

I have a momo adapter and a momo horn button from the 350mm wheel. I tried to find something in 390mm and...nothing. Only Nardi ! I researched and Nardi, while decent looking, are a different bolt pattern and the button hole is wider (of course). So I'd need another adapter in the middle, and another button, no thanks. Trying a simple bolt on here, not a rube goldberg device.

Are there options you know of that fit a momo hub in 390mm ? 380mm maybe ? Or forego the hub entirely ? not going any lower, in fact I might go 400mm if necessary  (I have an old porsche wheel I might try but it's probably a different spline pattern)

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

Don't know specifically what will fit the hub. For an '02 380mm is the the smallest functional wheel. Bigger is better as it gives more leverage. Currently run a 420mm CS coupe wheel in my Tii.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Anyone have experience with the company or product Flashpower?  They make a steering wheel hub adapter that is meant for our cars at a much more affordable price.  it looks good to me but with ebay and the internet it is really hard to tell.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flashpower-Steering-Wheel-Hub-Adapter-boss-kit-BMW-1500-1600-1800-2002-Black-/121839932811?hash=item1c5e39d58b:g:NzsAAOSwhcJWKwlH&vxp=mtr 

With that adapter I was thinking about the 390mm Nardi/Personal Classic wheel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nardi-Personal-Classic-Steering-Wheel-390mm-Black-Leather-with-Black-Spokes-/121378700021?hash=item1c42bbfaf5:g:D9oAAOSwd0BVznu~&vxp=mtr

Anyone try this or close?

Edited by Pastellbrent

i believe  I bought one from them and it  was just like the one on ebay  except it was brushed nickel instead of black.  You do have to do a modification to make the horn work if I recall. 

Buy 390mm...I bought 360mm and with wider tires and no power steering it is harder to turn going slow.

Abe

Edited by abe2002tii

Welp, I had the same problem so I emptied out my pockets and got this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Wood-Steering-Wheel-1600-1800-2002-15-NOS-New-/352168524703?hash=item51fee13b9f:g:V6UAAOSwd4tT0lSA&vxp=mtr

59cd91eb2d2f8_ScreenShot2017-09-28at6_19_51PM.thumb.png.f2d60c8120bfc5638332fa224ac57a02.png

(I am unaffiliated with this seller except as a customer.)

Yep, it's a Nardi, but it's 390mm and has the correct adapter and a very nice looking BMW logo already installed. Took about ten minutes to put it in. Here it is in my car:

wheel_2.thumb.jpg.84e065318716bd18970b7e854f034217.jpg

Personally I love it and I couldn't be happier, even considering that wood wheels aren't really a 70s German thing at all. It's a great solution, you know, except for it being $1,200 friggin' dollars. To me it was worth it, and like you I didn't dare go smaller than about 380mm because of steering effort. 

Since that eBay link above is for a single item and the link will definitely be crap within a month, here's a link to the seller, and it should work as long as they're still selling on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/wood-steering-wheels?_trksid=p2047675.l2559