Guest Anonymous

fly wheel machining?

11 posts / 853 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

I am having my fly wheel skimmed since its out. My factory book says a maximum of almost .004" can be removed but doesn't mention anything about the height of the step down (the surface that the pressure plate bolts to.) Jaymics resto book says a minimum of 15thous for the step down. This is a 228mm set up entirely stock. Any suggestions?

I had mine done by Top End Performance in North Hollywood.  Steve is very user friendly.  Give him a call.

Wow Jim, I think you have resurrected the earliest thread on the topic.  Good job!

This is the first one I have seen from 2001... and Merry Christmas. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Didn't notice the thread was that old.  Not sure why it came up on my list when it was so old.

(edited)

Since we're on the topic, be careful. Some machine shops are all too happy to take off liberal amounts if you don't specify. And this relates to flywheels, heads, blocks etc.

Hydraulic actuated clutches are more sensitive and less tolerant of flywheel resurfacing compared to the mechanically actuated clutch of the 1600. Speaking from experience, for the hydraulically actuated clutches on 02s, flywheels can be taken down about 1mm, while for the mechanically actuated clutches they can be taken down about 2mm. I once converted a 1600 to hydraulic actuation and ran into problems because my flywheel had been resurfaced to about 13mm thickness, which is permissible for mechanical actuation, but does not work with hydraulic actuation. That is the most likely the reason the factory manual allows for more flywheel resurfacing for the 1600. The devil is in the details.

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 2

That is why I suggested to talk with Steve at TEP.  The lightening of the flywheel was part of a total rebuild of the engine.  I'm not sure how much taken off but I am very happy with the rebuild.

lightening and resurfacing are 2 different things...

any competent shop with a grinder or lathe can resurface one,

but you want an experienced shop to lighten it.

Even in 2001.

t

was there.  Has the t- shirt.

Thanks Toby, I'm not an expert by any means.  I guess mine was re-surfaced and lightened.

So do I.  The flywheel lightening was part of an engine rebuild and comprehensive upgrade to the drivetrain.  It certainly does spin up faster, that's for sure.