• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 2000 Project (1341378)

duggi

That's fantastic that it shined up so nicely!  It's always my first recommendation to clean up a find like this... it sure keeps the motivation going when it looks pretty.  Glad to see the body is so sound.  I sure hope the engine responds to some TLC.

Your pedal box is missing a major hinge piece, that's why it's twisted over towards the accelerator pedal.  There should be a steel tube that those coil springs ride over.  http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=3371-USA-02-1969-NK-BMW-2000&diagId=35_0211

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

5 hours ago, jgerock said:

Nice work! The alternator looks NK based to me - even if there has been an engine swap.  What is written on the paper tag hanging below the steering column?

That's great to know!  Not sure about the paper tag...didn't notice it until you mentioned, it..I'll look tonight.

5 hours ago, NickVyse said:

Fantastic, great save, and yes to all your fluid/oil suggestions, nothing out of the ordinary. And all NK's rust on the front panel like that, almost like they designed it that way! Front seats have been recovered. Love the shine you're getting off of it. 

Perfect, thank you...didn't want to start off by pouring wrong fluids in everywhere!  I'll admit that I too have seen many photos of them rusted under there...glad it's not structural in any way.  It is shining up nicely!  Going to take a lot of work, but the paint will be pretty good on this one.

1 hour ago, zinz said:

That's fantastic that it shined up so nicely!  It's always my first recommendation to clean up a find like this... it sure keeps the motivation going when it looks pretty.  Glad to see the body is so sound.  I sure hope the engine responds to some TLC.

Your pedal box is missing a major hinge piece, that's why it's twisted over towards the accelerator pedal.  There should be a steel tube that those coil springs ride over.  http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=3371-USA-02-1969-NK-BMW-2000&diagId=35_0211

Ed

Thanks!  That makes sense looking at the diagram.  Will have to source those parts!  The body is turning out to be very sound...still surprised about that.

'67 BMW 2000 (Chamonix)

'68 BMW 2000 (Granada)

'84 BMW 528e, '87 BMW 325is, '15 535i, '18 M3cs

I took a look under the car this evening after work, as well as inspected the BAR sticker and associated emissions control add-ons.  I'll talk about the BAR and emission stuff, then under the car after...

The BAR sticker is very interesting for a few reasons: first the Engine Identification number is 0000137, indicating to me that it was one of the first few-hundred cars that they certified under the then-new emissions programs in California

IMG_0951.thumb.JPG.481499158e6dbb6113e5644e04df3498.JPG

...and second, the emissions (NOx control) equipment under the hood has stickers which indicated they were from 1975

IMG_5283.thumb.JPG.33d273866ef5aec08c43dce4c84f5b10.JPG

The NOx equipment has been placed under the coil and spliced-into both the coil and distributor:

IMG_3018.thumb.JPG.f76949ed32cdc87f11b628b58775e678.JPG

I'll have to take this back to stock, which shouldn't be too hard.  The rest of the wiring at the front of the car looks great.  It's very thick...I suspect they used the same gauge wiring as they did in the 6-volt cars.  Other than this spliced-up section, the rest is stock and looks great, including the headlight and side-marker wiring.  I'm hoping the car's VIN isn't flagged when I try to register it... Not too worried though I'm assuming since it's older than '76 I'm fine.

Underneath the car, I found no signs of rust other than a surface spot here or there.  I plan on taking the car in to a local body shop to have the rust abated once I get it running - I don't want our fog to take hold of the few small areas that exist and spread them.  There's plenty of old road dirt (which has dried out so much it just crumbles to dust), but overall everything is straight and relatively clean for a 50-year-old chassis.  I'll post photos of the undercarriage at the end.  To my surprise, the car has both front and rear sway bars installed as well as green springs and red Koni shocks at the rear!  I wonder if this has anything to do with the Schorsch Meier dealership connection.  The front springs are white and I doubt the struts are anything special and unfortunately I won't know for sure for a while.

IMG_1453.thumb.JPG.43744321e383febc61ec28828fe1d9db.JPG

IMG_3856.thumb.JPG.123a3cd7f3d259b1ba40cc13abd470fa.JPG

IMG_3036.thumb.JPG.e64e71b1839419c4dbb8b98ea974e5d5.JPG

IMG_7700.thumb.JPG.fdfe033e663db9a5d91ea049c0981aa4.JPG

Like I said, the underside of the car looks pretty great...aside from some surface speckles here and there, there's not much rust to speak of.  I'll focus first on the chassis, then at some point in the spring will drop the suspension and subframes and get those cleaned-up and painted to protect them.  Photos below...

IMG_0554.thumb.JPG.fe910144c9b45146e034078b8534001c.JPG

IMG_2708.thumb.JPG.824488bfc49183c2bc182691ff66354c.JPG

IMG_3869.thumb.JPG.9b5c01d14126405164cd87167a0a0446.JPG

IMG_4001.thumb.JPG.df3f3edb72b15a96528cae632210b54e.JPG

IMG_4680.thumb.JPG.6c0fadc307d3608833bdc5d91c19734d.JPG

IMG_8339.thumb.JPG.ba9440261f85b2c45d89cff99d970454.JPG

IMG_4934.thumb.JPG.53dbab2acec63f068ed75bb75293183c.JPG

At some point along the way, someone wanted a stiffer pedal-feel, so added their own spring in the linkage! ha!

IMG_1075.thumb.JPG.5d8451f48ddfd390f7bd3767b7556dbc.JPG

Oh and my friend polished another test-spot...we plan on doing a lot of buffing this weekend and I'm hoping to get the whole car to this point:

IMG_9685.thumb.JPG.4e0773d77035495c8ab9e1076e3a6f83.JPG

Anyway, that's tonight's update.  This car's turning out to be a gem.

IMG_1075.JPG

Edited by duggi
Added a photo and fixed some text...oops.
  • Like 1

'67 BMW 2000 (Chamonix)

'68 BMW 2000 (Granada)

All good news. The thing you've circled below the coil looks like a windscreen washer pump. I have no idea about NA emissions stuff.

Also, your centre drag link (steering) is bent like a banana, should be straight. An idiot mechanic probably took a crow bar to it once trying to remove the gearbox as it's virtually impossible to for it to hit anything on the road. Oh, and you probably know this, but that rear silencer is from another car.

Nick

2 hours ago, NickVyse said:

All good news. The thing you've circled below the coil looks like a windscreen washer pump. I have no idea about NA emissions stuff.

Also, your centre drag link (steering) is bent like a banana, should be straight. An idiot mechanic probably took a crow bar to it once trying to remove the gearbox as it's virtually impossible to for it to hit anything on the road. Oh, and you probably know this, but that rear silencer is from another car.

Nick

+1 on the washer pump 

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Looks very dry, indeed.  Spare tire well is spotless and it will be easy to empty the gas tank with the drain plug.. It is encouraging to see the paint respond to a bit of polish, it will be gleaming soon!

I know you will go through the brakes, but it looks like the driver's front soft line is twisted...could be pinched?  Replace soft lines, anyways...

Lucky duck on the sway bars... those Konis tend to ride hard in my experience.  

Good news indeed.

Ed

9 hours ago, NickVyse said:

Nick

7 hours ago, jgerock said:

+1 on the washer pump 

Thanks for the note about the drag link...thought it looked weird!  The car doesn't have windshield washers installed...and the unit is wired in-line between the coil and distributor.  I'll snap a few photos this evening.

3 hours ago, zinz said:

Looks very dry, indeed.  Spare tire well is spotless and it will be easy to empty the gas tank with the drain plug.. It is encouraging to see the paint respond to a bit of polish, it will be gleaming soon!

I know you will go through the brakes, but it looks like the driver's front soft line is twisted...could be pinched?  Replace soft lines, anyways...

Lucky duck on the sway bars... those Konis tend to ride hard in my experience.  

Good news indeed.

Ed

Yes, I plan on all new soft brake lines before taking this thing on the street...just did it on my e28 a few weekends ago.  I was glad to see the drain plug on the gas tank as well..no poking holes!

'67 BMW 2000 (Chamonix)

'68 BMW 2000 (Granada)

1 hour ago, HBChris said:

That's a windshield washer pump, no hoses attached, and I don't see it attached to the coil either.

I'll have to admit that I felt pretty sure it wasn't a windshield washer pump, and when I saw this third confirmation that it was, felt confused.  I'm home now, so just went to look at the car and moved the wiring around -- it's indeed a washer pump, the wiring was just such a dirty jumbled mess that it looked like that unit was wired to the distributor and coil.  Also confusing that the windshield wiper/washer wiring and the engine management wiring is bundled together.  No other signs at all of a windshield washer system are anywhere to be seen.  The good news is that it looks like the emissions equipment has already been removed and the engine wiring is actually in it's stock configuration =)  Yet again one less challenge on this surprising car.

'67 BMW 2000 (Chamonix)

'68 BMW 2000 (Granada)

Finally heard back from BMW on this car:

The BMW 2000 VIN 1341378 was manufactured on November 14th, 1967 and delivered on February 13th, 1968 to the BMW dealer Meier in Munich. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023.

I find it interesting that we usually see the car's manufactured and delivered dates within 10-15 days of eachother, especially for those cars originally sold within Germany.  This car though..took three months to get from their factory in Munich to their dealer, also in Munich.  I wonder if that was when the special options were added...  Thoughts?

'67 BMW 2000 (Chamonix)

'68 BMW 2000 (Granada)

Do you think this is the original paint?  If so... a pro can really do wonders to bring it back to life.  BE careful how much compounding/polish you use to keep from removing too much. An orbital will reduce the number of hours, but can burn the edges/corners quickly, if not careful.

I like McGuires #7 as an initial step, but there a lot of ways to do it.  #7 is quite oily and seems to re-vitalize the old paint.  Good YouTube videos on it's use.

Ed