• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Aftermarket Front Strut Brace

73tiiDavidPA

Hello,

So my original 1973 tii got a space in the Club Corral at the upcoming Hilton Head Motoring Festival.  I've lived down in SC now for six years and I've never been, but know several folks that have been and say its a great event.  Now that the last kid is off to college it'll be fun to have an adventure weekend with my wife.  The local BMW chapter (Sandlapper) put out a call for cars in their Club Corral, and I offered up mine.  The club show is on Saturday and the big event Concours is on Sunday.  Benefit for showing the car at the Club show (other then the obvious) is free entrance to the Concours because we'll have nametags.

Anyway... I'm trying to return a couple of little things back to stock on my tii.  Many years ago, I bought a front strut brace from the FAQ, which I had a shop install before I ran it at a HPDE in Summit point.  Seeing the value of tii's run northward over the last ten years I don't foresee running it at any HPDE in the future.  I'll buy something else if time and money afford the crazy hobby of weekend enthusiast / racer.  So I'm looking to remove the front strut brace since is screams "not original" before the Hilton Head show in November.  

Not sure how I go about removing the brace. 

1.  Do I just unbolt the three screws while it sitting on its tires and redo them?

2.  Or do I need to put the car up on front jack stands and get the weight off the front suspension, then remove the bolts and bar?

If I dig in my bin of magic parts that came with the car, I could also probably find the US front strut doughnut spacers.  I'm wondering if I should install those while I'm got the strut off?  Opinions?

IMG_3709.thumb.JPG.bd4e76877fd270cf68b07be4eaa974fa.JPG

I know this may be a simple (stupid) question, but not being sure, I'm confident that people here on the board will have the answer.  

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

14 minutes ago, 73tiiDavidPA said:

Seeing the value of tii's run northward over the last ten years I don't foresee running it at any HPDE in the future.  I'll buy something else if time and money afford the crazy hobby of weekend enthusiast / racer.  So I'm looking to remove the front strut brace since is screams "not original" before the Hilton Head show in November.  

I really really hope this kind of stuff doesn't stick.  It's the kind of attitude kinda takes the wind out of my enthusiasm for 2002's.  The way I see it, they were made to be hot-rodded.  Sticklers in wicker hats be d***ed.  Nothing against you though David, hope you have a great time.

To remove the brace, look at the allen-head bolt and nut connecting one end to the strut plate.  Unbolt one (or both ends) and you can remove the brace.

- Andrew

Yep, the 3 strut nuts per side will allow complete removal. And unless the car is upside-down, nothing will fly apart when you remove the nuts (as long as the wheels are on the ground). :)

I don't remember if there were originally lock washers under the nuts, but realoem would show you.

I don't think the original nuts had shoulders...

Cheers,

Edited by ray_

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Leave it on the ground. Lifting the car will just allow the strut assembly to drop down and make the job more challenging.

Loosening/removing the crossbar as Andrew suggested will make it a bit easier. Then you can just unbolt the three nuts on each strut mount, remove the bar, replace the nuts. Might want to add washers; flat washers to protect the paint, and lock washers to keep the nuts from loosening if they aren’t lock nuts already. Not sure what is concours-correct though. A parts diagram on real OEM should show what the factory did.

Have fun at the event, but don’t rule out future track use. The 2002 is too much fun on track, and it almost feels safer than driving around town most days.

It probably took me more time to type this on an iPad than it’ll take you to actually do it (washer sourcing aside).

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

22 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

To remove the brace, look at the allen-head bolt and nut connecting one end to the strut plate.  Unbolt one (or both ends) and you can remove the brace.

Yes, understood, but not what I'm looking for / asking.  I know I can remove the cross bar, but I'm looking to remove the silver mounting points also which are held on by the strut bolts.  

Regarding your other comment, I agree / embrace hot-rodding or tuning a 2002.  They can be very receptive to modifications / enhancements as we all know from this forum.  In the case of my '73 tii though, its an all original car - paint / drive train / period correct factory allows / AC.  Survivor cars are becoming fewer and fewer and I do sort of feel an obligation to keep it original.  Case in point, I'm probably going back to the 165 / 80 / R13 on my next tire purchase.  

• Like 1

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

Yep, the 3 strut nuts per side will allow complete removal. And unless the car is upside-down, nothing will fly apart when you remove the nuts (as long as the wheels are on the ground). :)

I don't remember if there were originally lock washers under the nuts, but realoem would show you.

I don't think the original nuts had shoulders...

Thanks.  I'll get some washers and nuts ordered this week so I can make the swap next weekend.  

Benjamin Franklin