• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73tii on BaT

cpolyak

Price: $2002

Description:

Recently listed my 73tii on BaT - can be viewed here. Like many of you, BaT has consumed hours upon hours of my free time so I figured I'd give their method a shot as a seller. 

Family and upcoming work changes are motivating the sale. Previous owner was active on FAQ during his time with the car and I've enjoyed the almost unlimited wealth of knowledge in articles and FAQ discussions.

I picked up this 2002tii as an unfinished project and have enjoyed crossing things off the to-do list during my ownership. It currently has under 1500 miles since major refurbishment of almost all mechanical components. Any questions, please fire away and I'll do my best to answer them. Happy motoring. . . . I'll most assuredly be back to join you at some point in the future. 

DSC02729.JPG

• Like 1

1973 Inka 2002tii (2764445) 

1974 Inka 2002tii (2782629) / Sold

1969 Porsche 912 (129000269) / Sold

I just post a question on BAT and figured I'd post it on here too, i know most of us do troll BAT on occasion :)

maybe some of the wise ones can chime in.

" Beautiful tii, as an owner of one, I can confirm the sheer joy of driving these cars.
Here is my confusion though, the car has a matching VIN engine, however, there are bits from a “typically” 1974 tii that came with a vacuum retarded distributor. That was for emission reasons. The vacuum hose running from the port on top of the manifold, between runners 1 and 2 (from the nose of the car) going to little bit on your air cleaner is give away… Oddly enough, in my one year search for my tii, have not seen that vacuum port on any pre-74 tii, in fact i never came across the vacuum retarded system on anything other than a 1974. Could it be because of late 73 production? or is the manifold and aluminum runners from a different car? Maybe some of the wiser 02er would know the answer. I’ll also post the question on the 2002FAQ and let you know if get any info. "

<Edit>... upon further review of the motor pics, it appear that you( or someone) as just hooked the vacuum lines to just go to "nowhere" ergo the distributor you have is not being vacuum retarded because if appear that there is no vacuum line running to it... your main line is running from b/w runner 1 and 2 to the vacuum control atop the air clearer to the thinner vacuum port (next too the tuna can/toward firewall) there should be a "T" there and one of the line runs to the distributor. With that said, some people, including myself abandon the Vac-retard dizzy for a standard Tii one, which most likely happen here, the odd thing is that those to ports on the manifold are just capped. Not sure why the system is still in place without serving any purpose... certainly not for aesthetic reasons.

Edited by gallian93

I cannot necessarily answer your question, gallian93, but I, too, noticed, the engine's '74-style plenum and the vacuum limiter valve on the air box.  My gut says that 44 years have passed since this car exited the factory in July 1973 and a LOT happens in 44 years, much of which is unknown to a second, third, or more owner -- and some of which may even be unknown to the original owner, who didn't accompany the car from factory to U.S. dealership!  My first suspicion is that some components have been changed. Plenums and aluminum intake runners generally have cast-in dates, revealing both month and year.  A simple examination would permit one to determine if the plenum post-dates July 1973.

There is currently a movement to restore original fuel injection, because it likely effects tii values.  But during the years of "tii doldrums", more than a few tii's lost their original injection systems to both newer (electronic) injection systems and carbs!

If I were purchasing the car, I would likely look at the dates on the head (should be an E12), plenum, intake runners, and more -- not because any of those dates would necessarily prevent me from buying the car, but simply because I would like to know what I'm buying!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 3

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

looks to be a very clean tii. Besides 74 style plenum I see it has the all black late model grills..picky picky. I think it looks good with the Inka color

I wonder if this is a 74 engine....

Says refurbished all mechanical components. Does that mean the entire drivetrain was rebuilt? Maybe you can fill us in on the full mechanical story? 

clock work?

thanks

Edited by iinca

iinca,

Engine markings match all other vin tags. Engine received top end rebuild (1400 miles since) and the transmission was replaced with low mile 4spd that shifts buttery smooth through all gears. Believe diff to be original.

Underside received all new brake and suspension components. Clock works, but runs a little slow. I try and forget about time when cruising, but I understand cleaning clock innards to be fairly simple and documented here on FAQ. 

1973 Inka 2002tii (2764445) 

1974 Inka 2002tii (2782629) / Sold

1969 Porsche 912 (129000269) / Sold

On 9/25/2017 at 5:09 PM, Conserv said:

I cannot necessarily answer your question, gallian93, but I, too, noticed, the engine's '74-style plenum and the vacuum limiter valve on the air box.  My gut says that 44 years have passed since this car exited the factory in July 1973 and a LOT happens in 44 years, much of which is unknown to a second, third, or more owner -- and some of which may even be unknown to the original owner, who didn't accompany the car from factory to U.S. dealership!  My first suspicion is that some components have been changed. Plenums and aluminum intake runners generally have cast-in dates, revealing both month and year.  A simple examination would permit one to determine if the plenum post-dates July 1973.

There is currently a movement to restore original fuel injection, because it likely effects tii values.  But during the years of "tii doldrums", more than a few tii's lost their original injection systems to both newer (electronic) injection systems and carbs!

If I were purchasing the car, I would likely look at the dates on the head (should be an E12), plenum, intake runners, and more -- not because any of those dates would necessarily prevent me from buying the car, but simply because I would like to know what I'm buying!

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve, as always you are a plethora of information of these cars :)

i think the previous owner chimed in on BaT that the air plenum is not original to the car. But he does say that the damaged one had the same "74ish" configuration.

Omer

38 minutes ago, cpolyak said:

iinca,

Engine markings match all other vin tags. Engine received top end rebuild (1400 miles since) and the transmission was replaced with low mile 4spd that shifts buttery smooth through all gears. Believe diff to be original.

Underside received all new brake and suspension components. Clock works, but runs a little slow. I try and forget about time when cruising, but I understand cleaning clock innards to be fairly simple and documented here on FAQ. 

Good luck, I think the car will fetch a great price for sure...