• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric fan size and installation pictures

Simeon

Read a lot of posts about installation of electric fans. Now the maximum dimension fan that fits into the existing radiator opening in the front panel seems to be a 12" fan but I have read of people installing 14" fans which presumably overlap the opening. The smaller fans seems to be installed flush with the radiator using mounting brackets to bridge the radiator opening or even using the through radiator plastic ties. 

It gets quite warm here in Adelaide so I would like to install as big a fan as possible (and practical). Can I get some photos of your fan installation, particularly larger sizes to give me some inspiration?

thanks all

Simeon

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Simeon,

Car is in the paint shop still, but will get you some photos next week.

What I did was use long bolt to install the radiator which were also used to hang a 12 inch fan on using aluminum angle iron brackets to center the fan in front of the radiator (320i radiator)

In front. Pretty sure there isn't enough room off the nose of the water pump (though happy to be proven wrong if folks post pictures of how they did it!) 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Now that I think about it I believe you are correct about the available space between the pump nose and radiator.  But people have tried crazier things.

Here's one mounting solution using Massive Brakes brackets with a 12" Spal fan on a '76.  Left side bracket is the same as the right just not mounted yet.

Electric Fan Mount (3).jpg

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

1 hour ago, Simeon said:

Pretty sure there isn't enough room off the nose of the water pump

Not to mention, given the same fan, it will cool better in front because the fan is a volume machine and the hot air behind the radiator has less mass.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Simeon. I have the same massive adapters and the 12” hi performance spal fan. I have been in 118 degree heat and the car tempnwas right in the middle. Normally it’s about 1/3 from the bottom so it runs cool. The 12” fan is more than adequate for extreme cooling. One thing to remember is not all fans are equal. Compare the cfm ratings on the fans to find the ones capable of pushing the most air. The Spal is higher than most 12” fans and in some cases moving double the volume of air. So a good 12” fan will cool better than an average 14”.   The massive brackets and Spal fan requires zero drilling and mounts to the stock radiator mount locations. Super easy and clean install. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Pick the fan  by the number of CFM the fan will pass not necessarily  the diameter a 14" will fit but will the corners that are blocked by the sheet metal reduce it's flow below that of a 12"

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

6 minutes ago, John76 said:

Does anyone have a preferred wiring diagram for the electric fan?

Do you use a manual on/off switch, a temp switch, or a variable speed controller?

By using a double throw switch you can do both.  Wire the center terminal on the switch to the fan relay, then wire one side to a ign on hot lead, and the other side through a thermostatic switch.  That way you can leave it in the automatic mode via the thermostatic switch or turn it on manually--and by centering the switch you can turn off fan operation altogether.

cheers

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, halboyles said:

Now that I think about it I believe you are correct about the available space between the pump nose and radiator.  But people have tried crazier things.

Here's one mounting solution using Massive Brakes brackets with a 12" Spal fan on a '76.  Left side bracket is the same as the right just not mounted yet.

Electric Fan Mount (3).jpg

Hi,

Is there supposed to be a shroud of some kind to isolate the front and back of the fan?  Without one, I imagine there will be losses.

Thanks.

Simeon,

An aside from your question re: fan size and install:

There are several locations (depending on FAQ opinions) for your thermo switch.  The photo below is the location of mine (bottom radiator hose).  I installed a manual override switch (the ever-mysterious orange button beside the ashtray).  The SPAL fan, SPAL thermo, and manual switch perform well.  Hint:  cover your rad core with thick cardboard throughout the process to prevent rad-pulley contact and subsequent damage.

The mounts shown by halboyles above work exceedingly well.  His schematic/electrical diagram is a great guide.

Larry

IMG_5052.thumb.jpg.eddd5d52616e8879ade699dcedd2641b.jpg