zinz

2000CS tear down started today

229 posts / 15133 viewsLast Reply

Holy mackerel... S14 in a 2000CS!! I actually thought about that swap for about a day... this car is just too nice for me to do that, though. 

The plan is original paint and interior scheme, Granada single stage paint with black/black interior. Wood will be relaminated, new carpet and headliner ( I wish the original headliner pattern was still available as it is fancier than the reproduction used in e9s nowadays)

IMG_7536.JPG.52b552be7606503f262b383b5609293a.JPG

Since the engine already has some performance work done to it (piano tops, bigger cam, valves, combustion chamber massaged, ports polished) I'm going to put some Weber 45DCOE15 & 16s on it and an H&B header to wring out its potential. Also, probably swapping in a 5 speed for the highway drives. Air conditioning would be nice, just not sure I can fit something in the center console and be satisfied with how it looks...we'll see. 

• Like 2

More hours spent on the CS these last few days. Removed tar pads from the interior floor pans yesterday. Driver's side gonna need two pans. Today was cleaning/degreasing the underside. 

IMG_8271.thumb.JPG.ffcbb3ffec1810215b92c40334436e10.JPG

IMG_8332.thumb.JPG.eae9ffbb9edd991782bf506ec1b8bede.JPG

IMG_8336.thumb.JPG.4fe2aae9281ce5c7b5ca5f2b17d7921b.JPG

...yes, that's a QR steering box B)

Ed

• Like 1

The outer rockers are going to need to be replaced too, Andrew. I knew the driver's side was bubbled, but the passenger side also is affected. 

I ain't skeered...I'm just happy replacement panels are available. 

Ed

I'd sell the steering box and put it in the restoration fund. That sure is clean

I'll keep the QR box for now.  With the help of good friends, I have been able to keep the costs down...though selling that box would go a long way for re-doing the interior. I really like the way the car drives with that quick steering.  

Ed

I guess the CR box would be OK with the bus wheel and close to stock tire size. With smaller wheel and 205/60/15s, parking becomes a challenge. 

Coupes always present restoration surprises. Where did you find original rockers?

The stock CS steering wheel is a whopping 420mm... it works very well with the QR box.

Walloth has all the rocker parts; inner, intermediate, and outer rockers; all it appears that I need is the outer pieces.  I broke out the side grinder with a wire wheel this morning and found some holes in the fender lips with old body filler in them...darn.  Again, Walloth has the proper patch panels for not too much money.  I'm not too disappointed, it's only the outer skin that has holes and not the bones of the structure.  I'm confident we can make it all right again.  

IMG_8343.thumb.JPG.904e3a68cf7b74709244813c8e575504.JPG

IMG_8346.thumb.JPG.93b495d6ddb83008e930616f9b9047ed.JPG

At least after fixing it, the body lines will be correct. They were muted from the filler. 

Ed

Edited by zinz
  • Like 1

Keep looking.

Are you pulling front fenders?

I re routed the drain tubes from C pillar to exit in wheel well.

1 hour ago, Hans said:

Keep looking.

Oh yes... there could be more. It is a Coupe and they hide their rust well; I have faith we have found the worst of it.  I have pictures of the car in the '80s when it was stripped for paint and there was very little body work in evidence.

I am not pulling the front fenders...the car is too straight for me to go removing those panels.  The windshield trays are spotless, the lower nose is absolutely free of rust. The cowl area is also very clean.  Right now, the plan is to have the car dustless blasted; at that point we will know most everything.  If I do anything, I may inspect the A-Pillars with a mechanic's bore-scope.  That will only involve drilling a small hole that we can easily weld up later.

Can you send me a couple pics how you re-routed the C-Pillar drains to exit the wheel wells?

reach up under the fenders to the top of the box section that runs from front bulkhead to firewall. Mine were swiss cheese.

On 9/26/2017 at 8:32 PM, Hans said:

reach up under the fenders to the top of the box section that runs from front bulkhead to firewall. Mine were swiss cheese.

You had me worried for a little while... Nope.  The front is very clean.  This car was delivered to a dealer in Worms, Germany in '67.  I have a suspicion that it was undercoated at that time.  I poked, prodded, and peered all up under the wheel wells... I scraped away some of the remaining undercoating and found a tiny bit of surface scale under some chunks of the black tar. Not one hole, or thin area.  The lower nose has all sorts of areas to trap debris and all of it is clean and dry.  The upper sections of the front wells are perfecto... 

IMG_8369.thumb.JPG.8154b81db22501d0f30b0d2b0fac5cdd.JPG

IMG_8375.thumb.JPG.846641143d41f120629034bbaec4904c.JPG

IMG_8374.thumb.JPG.0a196097cbaec150f0137503c32a91e1.JPG

So... today I loosened and disconnected the remaining bits in preparation to remove the front and rear subframes tomorrow.  Then we weld up a carriage/dolly for it.  Ching Ching..

Ed

Edited by zinz

I've felt all up in that area...couldn't find any problems. We pulled the subframes today. I'll look one last time but I don't think there is any issues up under there. 

We tore down a scrap front subframe from a 2002 that Barney had knocking around. The CS shares the same structure. We'll weld up the front section of the chassis dolly using that 02 subframe. 

IMG_8389.thumb.JPG.62a25c9adfdd4d7b7f536f2fb6df5927.JPG

Ed