• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2000CS tear down started today

zinz

53 minutes ago, Hans said:

Any idea why there are two small holes at bottom of front apron by bumper support??

No idea what they were for. We should have filled them during the welding phase of the project... just missed that, I guess. 

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

1 hour ago, zinz said:

No idea what they were for. We should have filled them during the welding phase of the project... just missed that, I guess. 

Ed

Preemptive mud flap mount! ?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Makes as much sense as anything, I suppose...

Here’s today’s progress report:

NOS grills installed. Lights wired in. Roundel installed (really need a proper Roundel base...?). Sorted some other small bits...

24EF3325-26BE-4751-BD04-8F68526B03AB.thumb.jpeg.49cac307fa85e3f1b512abc087a233f3.jpeg

D4D6B72A-D3FE-4460-8671-340BAEBB560C.thumb.jpeg.5ca777550a7885eca4d65c6efa318097.jpeg

Ed

• Like 8

Another full weekend with lots of help. Darrin came in from out of town for our Austin C&C and came out to help during the afternoon. Much appreciated!

Windows installed and working nicely. Hope the video works..

F27A5B62-2037-44AA-A177-4692DB6014DA.thumb.jpeg.a9735d58a83431d3e44c253a445c7017.jpeg

C075895E-F2A9-4A09-8AB1-1903FC9B65D8.thumb.jpeg.ed313a4a304690cfbfbd112294218e6b.jpeg

• Like 7

Looking great, Ed! It is really coming along. The video does work and you can see the contentment in your face!

I've heard that installing the horizontal chrome strips at the top of the door and just behind it where the body meets the rear side glass can be tricky. Not because they don't go on easily enough but because installing them frequently scrapes off the paint on the lip, leaving exposed metal under the trim which can then lead to rust. I haven't done it personally but maybe applying some lubricant to the lip would help avoid this problem?

Brian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Swiss 2002Tii said:

Wow!  That window moves fast!

I've always heard how slowly the Coupe rear windows operated...These rear windows didn't work when I got the car.  The 50 year old grease in the mechanisms had turned to stone.  It took several hours to clean and tweak them to get the final result.  Those are the original window motors... many folks put in motors from an e28 to help things out, but I see no benefit considering how well these worked (besides, the e28 motors require modifications to the window bracket; I'm glad I didn't have to do that.)

Brian... thanks for the tip on the chrome trim edge. I'll grease that edge before installing the trim!

Ed

Edited by zinz
  • Like 3

Good to know, Ed.  When you refer to grease in the mechanisms, are you talking about the tracks the window travels in, or was the aged grease on the regulator gear assembly causing the stickiness?

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)

9 minutes ago, Swiss 2002Tii said:

are you talking about the tracks the window travels in, or was the aged grease on the regulator gear assembly causing the stickiness?

All the above... The "tuna can" motor drives a worm gear that turns the wide sprocket operating the levers moving the window along two tracks.  That worm gear had old grease in it, then the sprocket showed evidence of wear along several surfaces, so I cleaned them up and greased the wear points. The tracks have two sliders and that whole thing was caked with old grease.  

All of it got a good scrubbing on the bench.  I didn't disassemble a lot of parts, just cleaned and removed the old gunk.  I replaced the grease with a modern silicone grease in hopes it won't get hard over time.  It's certainly good for another 50 years, I would hope...

Ed

BTW... on a Coupe that has all the trim attached, I still think one could access enough of the track and gears to help out a slow-operating window.  It would not be possible to access all the mechanism with the window in place (notably, the back side).

Edited by zinz
  • Like 2